Akumal Dive recommendations please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackPatch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I have a trip booked for 2 weeks starting on March 9 (with my non diving girlfriend) to Akumal in Mexico, as such I will be looking at getting 8 dives in during the trip.

Looking for your thoughts on unmissable dive sites around the area.

Awesome stuff ladies and gents, thanks for your help.

Pete.

I have been to Akumal many times. The diving is simple and very laid back. The dive sites are 5 to 15 minutes away in a 26 foot panga. All dives are single tank dives. The early morning dive is the deep dive, the second dive is mid-range. There is a surface interval for lunch and then the shallow afternoon dive.

I see you are a newer diver. You will see many neat things and get more familiar with open water diving. As you progress with your diving, you might consider a dive in the cenotes. I try to do the cenotes for the last dive of my vacation because it rinses my gear. Do not try the cenote dive if you are not doing well with your buoyancy control.

Have a great trip. Just don't tell anyone else about Akumal. One of its great attractions is that there are not big crowds there. Local DM's will take you to the best places.
DivemasterDennis

Some good memories from Akumal, shame the last one was Luis loosing our 10 year old son on our first open water dive within the first 3minutes. Everything turned out ok, but no more Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very sad to discard an entire area's great diving over the actions of one person. The Riviera Maya is a beautiful area with a lot of good diving, and I'm sure there are good and bad dive professionals there, as there are anywhere.

We just came 2 weeks ago from Akumal…
We stayed in Akumal Beach Resort which is in short walking distance from village of Akumal.
I dived with Akumal Dive Shop for local ocean dives and my friends used Akumal Dive Center which is steps from the previous shop… Both operators are very good. In Akumal Dive Shop you pay few dollars more but they have 100 cf’s for no extra charge, so if you prefer bigger tanks it’s the shop for you.
For cenote dives (which are must dives in Akumal) we used services of Nicolas from Cenote Experience. He was picking us right from the hotel and all trips were perfectly organized (100’s, Nitrox etc.)

We are going down to Akumal this Tuesday 2/12/13 can't wait. We are staying at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba and will be diving with the onsite Scubaquatics. This will be my first tropical / ocean diving and we will be spending one day over in Cozumel and one day diving local Akumal reefs.

Very excited to get away from the cold and dive, I will try and remember to come back and post our experience with the local dives and Scubaquatics as a Dive op.

Have a great trip. Just don't tell anyone else about Akumal. One of its great attractions is that there are not big crowds there. Local DM's will take you to the best places.
DivemasterDennis

+1! I'll be arriving in Akumal April 24, diving with Natalie and Ivan. They have their own website, and use boats from the Dive Center (round building near the hotel).

We also stayed at Grand Bahia Principe Coba two years ago. I checked out the onsite dive shop there the first day and was not impressed with the DM's or their attitude. I had heard or Bahia Divers before, called them, arranged the first day of diving. They will pick you up at the resort although the resort says that they're not allowed to do this. Fabio picked me up when he said he would and took me to their small but cool cabana dive shop on a semi-private beach just a few minutes away. I did a couple of days of 2 tank reef dives then 2 cenote dives with a certified cave instructor with me being the only guest. Don't miss the cenotes, but as stated above, you must have good buoyancy control. Check 'em out: Bahia Divers Dive Center, specialized in private group diving and Cenotes - Dive at the Mexican Caribbean Have fun!

Heading there on the 26th, planning on diving with. Natalie and Ivan as well. Can hardly wait, counting down the days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom