al or ss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have decided by all I have read that I want to go with bp/w.I have two lp72 tanks. one day I want to double them. I currently dive a 5 mil ws with a 3mil hooded vest. I mostly dive in quarries and lakes. I do not foresee a dry suit in the near future(funds). I am about convinced to go with a hog rig but am unsure about al or ss BP. Is it wise to dive a ss bp in a wetsuit with double lp72 tanks? Should I go with an aluminum BP and just add weight if needed in the future? I am really unsure what to do. I am not sure what my diving future holds (cavern, wreck etc.) but know I really enjoy diving. Please advise.Thanks much.

It would help if you described what type of rig you dive now and how much weight you dive it with. I'm assuming you dive the 72's as singles?

Currently I dive an Omega back inflate bc.It is a lot like a transpac with a permant wing and less padding. I do dive the 72 single with 16lbs of weight, 6 on the tank in pockets on the upper tank band and 10 in the weight pockets on the waist strap. I have just recently been able to get my trim under pretty good control with thisset up. I would dive the bp/w with single 72 for a while ,until I can afford to double them up. I also own 2 al80"s. My wife uses one of these when she occasionally dives with me so I will probably not double these up.

I can tell you that my wife just switched from a standard jacket style Zeagle to a DSS rig with SS back plate. She was using 14# of weight with a steel LP98 and a 7mm wetsuit and hood. Went to the SS back plate and uses about 2# on the first dive and once the suit is wet she can drop that weight. She may be a couple pounds heavy in a 5mm suit but that is about as low as we go here in WI. If we go warm water - then we are buoyant because of the salt water and therefore she will need the weight as well...

With that said - I use an AL plate (bought it used...) and I need 10-12# with my dry suit. I am going to get a 7# shot pocket to go in the spine of my back plate and then I can dive with 2-4# on a weight belt. Nice part is when I travel I can just take that off and I don't have to worry about the extra weight in the bags.

You can find that shot pocket on scuba.com

Nice part is when I travel I can just take that off and I don't have to worry about the extra weight in the bags.

Yes, an AL plate is better for travel.

The 72s are more or less neutral empty, maybe 8 lbs negative full, the manifold/bands/regs are probably about 5 lbs negative, I would guess your wetsuit is about 12 lbs positive, maybe more, and your BC is probably at least 2 lbs positive. These are guesses, but I would bet you'll be close to neutral on the surface with 2 full tanks, hardware, and an AL plate. so, the added 5lbs or so of the steel plate would not present a problem IMO, and you'll need more than that much weight to stay down with close to empty tanks. So you could go either way.

I use an AL plate with my double 72s, but I also use quite a bit less lead than you with a single tank.

Currently I dive an Omega back inflate bc.It is a lot like a transpac with a permant wing and less padding. I do dive the 72 single with 16lbs of weight, 6 on the tank in pockets on the upper tank band and 10 in the weight pockets on the waist strap. I have just recently been able to get my trim under pretty good control with thisset up. I would dive the bp/w with single 72 for a while ,until I can afford to double them up. I also own 2 al80"s. My wife uses one of these when she occasionally dives with me so I will probably not double these up.

Sounds like a SS plate should work well for you. You can always add an Al (or lighter) plate later if needed for travel or warm waters.

I'd go with the SS plate as well. Especially for single tank diving. Although the double 72's shouldn't change your weighting needs that much (Nearly neutral) so you could prob use the SS plate for them as well. If you have an average build, 16 lbs of lead sounds like alot. I dive the same size suit and hood, and with a SS BP, and steel tank, I need no weight.

Hope you enjoy your eventual new BP/Wing. It really is a great upgrade.

Ha. I didn't take one look at the date this was posted....

How's the new BC working out for you?

Aluminum for travel

SS for all other applications, unless I'm diving heavy steel doubles

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom