Aldora Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which form of "dead" volume are you referring to?
The volume that's left when your reg drops below IP, or the volume that's left at 500 PSI if you respect that sort of rule.

The fill pressure for Al tanks is 3000 psi
Both Catalina and Luxfer AL 100 tanks are filled at 3300 PSI.

Should be, but are not.
What I meant was they are supposed to be filled at 3300. I was replying to a post that said aluminum tanks are to be filled at 3000.

I have a couple of AL100's in Mexico. Terrible heavy tanks and you have to add a couple pounds of lead to dive them. But at a 3000# fill they have 17% more air than and AL80. Sometimes it is worth it.

Yes. AL 100s are supposed to be filled to 3300, like 80 are to 3000. Why do they not do it? I have no idea, except maybe 3000 is their one number. So basically you get shafted on the a portion of the air you are supposed to get. Of course as has been said, a little extra is a little extra.

Back when I used a AL 100, I didn't find them heavy, but I did find the change in buoyancy as they went empty extreme. Weight heavy early as those things FLOAT....

Its called Boyle's law. Google it...
You guys are thinking of a liquid or solid. We breath a gas that is compressible.
To whom are you referring? I have seen some minor misconceptions in here but no one is saying that they think the interior dead volume of an AL80 is 80 cubic feet.

BTW, diving with them next month for the first time. I assume the valves are din?

I dive DIN and have not had an issue with Aldora. At worst they take the yoke insert out of the tank.

Which form of "dead" volume are you referring to?
The only one I know of, which is the volume of an incompressible fluid such as water that the tank will hold when filled to the top. The term may not be familiar to you but it is the one we used when I worked in the specialty gas industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom