Allergies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have just recently been certified, which went fairly smoothly, however I have seasonal allergies (which seem to last thru the whole dive season), which can make it difficult to equalize, or clear my mask. I am taking an anti-histamine, but was wondering if other allergy sufferes out ther take shots, or have any other means of making diving more comfortable.

Greetings wreckhunter01 and welcome to SB! I can tell you are a fellow allergy person who loves to dive. In the many things I have tried, the best investment yet was to visit a "diving" ENT. His advice totally changed my equalization issues. What he did was instructed me what medications to use and when / how to use them in my particular case. This is very important to understand because some medications are not dive friendly!! This is why it is important to seek professional advice and it does not hurt to consult D.A.N. "Divers Alert Network" they can help you determine what is dive friendly and what is not.
Now there are some easy, helpful hints to try;
1. Cut your dairy intake
2. Drink lots of water
3. Use a ear drying / cleaning solution "ENT approved ofcourse"
4. Sinus rinse
5. Cut your Beer intake "the yeast can not be helpful to allergy symptoms"
6. Practice equalizing out of water to try different techniques and condition the tubes in your ears
7. Never force it " only bad things come from it!!!!"
Those are just very general hints there are some really good threads on SB about this topic and some very nice professional health care members who could be of more help.
From one diver to another, "I am not a doctor" I have found the acai berry blend MONI*VIE to be a huge help! It reduced the medications to almost 0! No joke! It is not cheap but sitting dives out is not either. It is a natural product and has lots of other benefits.
The allergy issue is a case by case, every one is different but I understand your plight very well. I hope this has given you a starting point, I am sure others will be posting soon with some great information. Good luck and do not let this get you down it is manageable my best advice is see the ENT, be proactive, stay in the water as much as possible! It gets better the more practice we have! Safe diving to you.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I have allergies, but they never bother me on my dive. I take a zyrtec before bed the night before and I am fine. I have also started NAET treatments (NO SHOTS) and they have been a big help with day to day allergies. Here is a link if you want to learn more about it. http://http://www.naet.com/
Good luck!

Don't listen to number 5 above. Cutting beer intake is just plain crazy talk!

I had a sinus infection many years ago that resulted in reverse squeeze. I have been having similar problems and the doctor says it is probably related to allergies and gave me the nasal spray Naseral. I had a CT scan of my sinuses also.

Some problems I have had the past month:
sounds in my ears like snapping shrimp when surfacing
pressure between my eye brows

I do not have problems with clearing or equalizing my mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom