Alternate reg from the left or the right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "standard" here is octo on left so its the correct way up when presented to an OOA recipient. That said im not aware of any official standards for which side its meant to be.

Some agencies teach rescue with a controlled lift from behind in which case the octo-from-right sort of makes sense. Personally i prefer a face to face for eye contact and so on and in that situation from the left makes more sense.

I cant see an issue with either side PROVIDED there is enough hose to allow it to be given at any instant without messing about.

Suppose I have a 7' hose on my primary, and I want to bungee my octo to my neck. How long should the hose be on the octo?

proyce:
Suppose I have a 7' hose on my primary, and I want to bungee my octo to my neck. How long should the hose be on the octo?
Depends on the routing. (I.e. under arm or over shoulder, etc.) and on your size and gear configurations (twins, single, top of tank location or is it attached to pony, etc.) I prefer under arm routing and as short as possible to prevent loose loops on side, but long enough to allow adequate head movement when deployed. A standard 40” is too short for me, as I am taller (and larger) :D than average, so I need to use a custom length. I also use an almost 90 degree swivel, to allow for a smaller bend at the 2nd stage connection, as it comes up from a steeper almost vertical direction

Note: not everyone will agree with the swivel or routing (I don’t think it’s DIR) but the point is the hose will need to be sized for your particular needs, and maybe even custom sized. Talk to your instructor(s) or tech at LDS. (Bring your gear).

proyce:

Typically it would be on a 22-24" hose routed over your shoulder and bungee'd around your neck.

early reg's had few ports so the easiest way to add an octo was to put two reg's on one port using a y on the port which had the primary. Therefore most people ended up with the octo on the right and it just stayed there.

I've got my primary on a 5' and backup bungeed to my neck. If an OOA diver comes to grab my reg, no matter which they go for, they'll end up with my primary. Either they'll go straight for the primary and I go to my backup, or they go for my backup which they find is stuck on my neck and then they'll go for my primary. With the long hose, they end up with the reg the right way up, and my backup is right way up for me too.

Two halves of a fisherman's knot. The difference for this application is that the base of the mouthpiece goes between the two knots.

Fishknot.png

You can use a double loop around for each overhand knot, I think that works better (e.g. more secure) with bungee cord, but as always YMMV.

micknewton:
How do you attach your bungee to your 2nd stage?
I tie a knot in both ends of the bungee, cut the ziptie that holds the mouthpiece on , throw a new ziptie on witht he bungee under the ziptie, one knot on each side of the mouthpiece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom