Orientation of new DIN reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turret down, long hose and necklace feed to right, spg and drysuit feed to left
This is a sincere question, because I’m wondering if there is something I’m not thinking of. If you’re going to feed the long hose to the right, does it matter whether the turret is up or down?

Erik

Are some divers setting up with the tank valve opening facing away from them to the back?

No. I've never seen a kit setup this way. This would seem to really complicate things unnecessarily. It is definitely non-standard. It would put more of the 1st stage back behind you where it can more easily snag on something (fishing line, nets, etc.). Yes, there is less there to bang your head against, but DIN 1st stages on a DIN tank are designed to leave you enough clearance. It also puts the tank valve on the opposite side from where a buddy or mate on a boat would expect it to be. I don't really see a benefit to this routing and can see multiple negatives.

No. I've never seen a kit setup this way. This would seem to really complicate things unnecessarily. It is definitely non-standard. It would put more of the 1st stage back behind you where it can more easily snag on something (fishing line, nets, etc.). Yes, there is less there to bang your head against, but DIN 1st stages on a DIN tank are designed to leave you enough clearance. It also puts the tank valve on the opposite side from where a buddy or mate on a boat would expect it to be. I don't really see a benefit to this routing and can see multiple negatives.
Also seems you might need to add a couple inches of length to your necklace, inflator and SPG standard length hoses?

Personally, I run mine turret down, with the long hose coming out of the 5th lp port.
+1. This image is often cited on this topic. I like a 26" HP hose, but I also run my tank high enough to reach the valve and am on the taller side. (TBH, these days I run a transmitter.)
1a3502db-942d-3eb1-ab00-ac9793b16673

This is a sincere question, because I’m wondering if there is something I’m not thinking of. If you’re going to feed the long hose to the right, does it matter whether the turret is up or down?

Erik

Down helps to keep the hoses and swivel from coming into contact with anything

...and down is essential if you wish to use the end-mounted 5th port, for example for a longer reg hose.

That's actually a really good point that I hadn't considered.

For the OP, these are probably micro-optimizations, but such things can become more useful in the long-run when dealing with overhead environments.

No. I've never seen a kit setup this way. This would seem to really complicate things unnecessarily. It is definitely non-standard.
Definitely non-standard. I’ve only seen it once, but it wasn’t the normal way for this diver either. As he was getting ready to splash, my friend noticed his reg was not breathing right. So, I let him use my daughter’s reg. My regs are configured with the reg body pointing down. His was routed with the reg body pointing up. I guess it never dawned on him to rotate the reg, he just rotated the tank. He was kind of a newbie at the time.

Turret is placed down when diving single tank. Reg hoses off the right side. Inflator, dry suit, HP off the left side. Turret down helps to protect hose to 1st connections.

When diving doubles in overhead, turret is placed on the inside. All hoses come out of bottom. Gives a lower profile and protects them.

That's the way I dive DINs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom