Alternate reg from the left or the right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, before I get flamed by everyone and start an argument, bear in mind that I have taken somewhere around 100,000 people diving, and have had to share my air a couple of hundred times in real situations, not the made up, I imagine, sort of thing that most divers, and training organizations discuss.

well not being funny but if your are pro why have u let so many ppl run out of air

skippy77:
Now, before I get flamed by everyone and start an argument, bear in mind that I have taken somewhere around 100,000 people diving, and have had to share my air a couple of hundred times in real situations, not the made up, I imagine, sort of thing that most divers, and training organizations discuss.

well not being funny but if your are pro why have u let so many ppl run out of air
The discussion isn't about 'letting' someone run out of air. Its about the best setup for if someone DOES run out of air. Also its not always the responsibility of the 'pro' to monitor everyone's air. Unless you're training OW, the 'pro' shouldn't be swimming around checking everyone's air. Unfortunately a lot of people don't monitor their air as well as they should, and running out of air happens. It's not the pro's responsibility

markfm:
Beats me -- I bought a "reverse" Octo, from Sherwood, so it hands off cleanly. (The LP hose goes into the left side of the reg, instead of the right)

That is what is nice about Poseidon Xstreams...there is no right side up or down :)

Just got to remind your buddy where the purge button is :)

Paul in VT

skippy77:
Leading many divers is like herding cats. Babysitting air pressures involves getting them to stay near, which can be pretty much impossible.

A couple of times I considered myself lucky that I came back with all of the divers I went out with.

Originally Posted by skippy77

Hey Skippy...before you go judging people try adding 10,000 or so dives to your profile. Fred R. is THE REAL DEAL. I have done MANY, MANY dives with him. He does not let people run out of air. A CERTIFIED diver is responsible for his/her air consumption, not the DM or Boat Captain.

As for the whole Octo discussion....a "concerned" diver will ask to share air/buddy breathe. A "panicked" diver is only concerned about getting the hell out of the water as fast as possible, usually grabbing, clawing and standing on the closest thing around which may just happen to be you.

My Octo is Left Routed on a 5" Yellow hose with a swivel adaptor on the 2nd stage.

As a new DM..Welcome to the world of professional diving. But I might suggest you sit back and read the posts and educate yourself better before making judgments of others mentors.

Mike Rushton
PADI DM 174448
Cert 12/99
2000+ dives

What's the primary purpose of an alternate reg? Is it a) to provide a backup air source for the diver carrying it or b) a backup air source for other divers?

If your answer is B, then it is at least arguable that routing over the left side would be preferable. If your answer is A, then it should go on the right, where you are accustomed to finding a reg. Remember under great stress, higher thinking goes out the window, at best you'll fall back on your training.

I'll bet divers end up using their own octos at least ten times as often as they hand a reg off (drills excluded).

Alex

So, I'am a new PADI DM, little to no experience. My octo is on the right. While working with another dive shop. (SSI) I was told the octo goes on the left. All of their student/rental gear has the octo on the right. Go figure. I use a Cyclon 5000, it's always rightside up, right or left. Been looking at some new scubapro. Lots of hose mounts right or left. What ever, I'll probably stick with both on the right, more common. I don't have a good reason to be a "trend setter" and my left side is already pretty busy. I prefer to focus on no OOA divers/students.

adios don O

I have mine on the left. Mostly because primary and DSinflator fill the ports on the right side.
I also think it routes more cleanly from the left. YMMV.

skippy77:

Gees.... sounds like you think you would have done better.
Personally, I'm in awe and amazed. For the quantity of divers involved,
statistically less than %0.2 had to share air. That means %99.8 of divers had no
issue. Sounds like a pretty amazing record to me given some of the
nonsense I have seen and actually read about people doing
right here on this board.

--- Bill

Bill...go back and read the posts.

"Now, before I get flamed by everyone and start an argument, bear in mind that I have taken somewhere around 100,000 people diving, and have had to share my air a couple of hundred times in real situations, not the made up, I imagine, sort of thing that most divers, and training organizations discuss."

That was posted by Fred R. The other sentence was posted by skippy77

Mike Rushton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom