Alternative to Atlantis Dumaguete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend suggest Sogod Bay (Leyte) - it looks like that would require a special domestic flight to Tacloban, or fly to Cebu, plus public ferry, plus drive. Has anyone flown to Tacloban?
Sogod Bay is as good as Dumaguete if NOT better. But getting there is slightly more time consuming than Dumaguete.
Never flown into Tacloban. For us in HK, we just fly into Cebu directly and catch the ferry(3hrs) and hit the road(3-4hrs). It is a long journey but well worth it(diving wise).

I won't be too worry about the rain. Jan to Mar is too early for typhoon.

I like Easy Diving dive shop at Thalatta resort. Resort is good too, with saltwater pool. Food is better than the average.

diver 85 thanks for the link to your pix - looks like a fabulous trip.

How did you book the trip to see the Oslob whalesharks? I looked up Oslob but still couldn't tell who arranges transport. Did you book through Turtle Bay or are there other ways to do this dive? Never knew about Cebu whalesharks until I saw your photos.

I will be at Liquid Dumaguete in three weeks. Has had good reviews and so far the email exchanges have given me a good feeling. We will see.

I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks then! Anything you are wanting to see whilst you are here? It's frogfish madness at the moment!!!

+1 for Easy Diving and Thalatta resort. Great diving, with a really fun crew - well organised, and so friendly. Good choice of food, and clean, simple rooms. Would do back in a heartbeat.

I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks then! Anything you are wanting to see whilst you are here? It's frogfish madness at the moment!!!

Not really, will be coming off a liveaboard trip so will depend on what happens there. One likely wish list item will be to get a nice mandrinfish picture. I only have one I like and it is not particularly good. Also have not yet got an ornate ghost pipefish picture that I am happy with so will likely want to look for them if they are about. Last year in Lembeh we only saw one pair. Harliquin shrimp is another wish list item where the pics I have are not as good as I would like.

Oher than that - just the usual suspects - the small and the strange. Looking forward to meeting you and your crew.

Yes, I've dived with Mike's operation three times now and I would recommend them. Their rooms are a bit over my budget too as a single diver. They have booked me at the next door resort that charges about 950 php for a single room bamboo bungalow with hot shower. I pretty much eat all my meals at Mike's. I had the enjoyment of having a turkey dinner there one Thanksgiving as a group of US divers were there from Guam.

Planning to spend a month ion the PI in March and Dumaguete is one of the possible choices so I'm interested in this thread.

Sogod Bay is as good as Dumaguete if NOT better. But getting there is slightly more time consuming than Dumaguete.
Never flown into Tacloban. For us in HK, we just fly into Cebu directly and catch the ferry(3hrs) and hit the road(3-4hrs). It is a long journey but well worth it(diving wise).

I won't be too worry about the rain. Jan to Mar is too early for typhoon.

I usually dive Alona Beach on Panglao in Bohol when I dive Dauin. That is unless I am diving Malapascua as a combination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom