Alternatives to scubatools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TechDeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I placed about a $175 order with scubatools after hearing about them in this forum. It started off badly when I saw that they were charging almost $18 shipping for what would have had to have been a very small box, less than 2 pounds I'm sure, from Greensboro, NC to Suffolk, VA. So to say they overcharge for shipping is an understatement. But, so be it, I place the order Sunday, 24JAN.

So here we are almost close of business Wednesday, 3 business days after I order. All my rebuild kits that were ordered the same day and shipping from Florida arrived, but no scubatools. I had gone to the web site yesterday, and filled out a contact form asking about my order, and received no reply. So I just called them, and I'm told the order hasn't shipped yet, yada yada yada.

So in my opinion, we had a trifecta of ways that you do not do business. First you grossly overcharge for shipping. Then you just don't ship the order for 3 full business days (who knows how long it would have taken had I not cancelled) and then you completely ignore your customers request for information. The last one in my opinion is just not acceptable.

This is not the way I do business, so I canceled my order. Add to that the fact that they are competing with Dive Gear Express, which has such good customer service it's off the charts, with free shipping. Speaking of DGX, they do sell that double ended adjustment tool, but I read a review that it was a cheaply made knockoff.

Bottom line, I need to get my regs serviced soon. Anybody have any experience with the adjustment tool from DGX? I would rather give them as much business as I can, but don't want junk. Also, there are tools I need that DGX doesn't have. Are there any other sources for these specialized tools, or am I out of luck?

Thanks.

what regs do you have?

For the Apeks/Hog/Hollis etc type, the only things you really NEED are a pin spanner, an o-ring pick, an IP gauge, and some allen keys. The adjustment tool is 100% not necessary. Just takes a bit longer when fine tuning the second stages because you have to purge, remove the hose, make an adjustment, then put it back on. It saves maybe 5 minutes per reg set when tuning? certainly not worth the cost. For Scubapro there are some funky things you need, but I am not well versed on those.

So I placed about a $175 order with scubatools after hearing about them in this forum. It started off badly when I saw that they were charging almost $18 shipping for what would have had to have been a very small box, less than 2 pounds I'm sure, from Greensboro, NC to Suffolk, VA. So to say they overcharge for shipping is an understatement. But, so be it, I place the order Sunday, 24JAN.

So here we are almost close of business Wednesday, 3 business days after I order. All my rebuild kits that were ordered the same day and shipping from Florida arrived, but no scubatools. I had gone to the web site yesterday, and filled out a contact form asking about my order, and received no reply. So I just called them, and I'm told the order hasn't shipped yet, yada yada yada.

So in my opinion, we had a trifecta of ways that you do not do business. First you grossly overcharge for shipping. Then you just don't ship the order for 3 full business days (who knows how long it would have taken had I not cancelled) and then you completely ignore your customers request for information. The last one in my opinion is just not acceptable.

This is not the way I do business, so I canceled my order. Add to that the fact that they are competing with Dive Gear Express, which has such good customer service it's off the charts, with free shipping. Speaking of DGX, they do sell that double ended adjustment tool, but I read a review that it was a cheaply made knockoff.

Bottom line, I need to get my regs serviced soon. Anybody have any experience with the adjustment tool from DGX? I would rather give them as much business as I can, but don't want junk. Also, there are tools I need that DGX doesn't have. Are there any other sources for these specialized tools, or am I out of luck?

Thanks.

Try XS Scuba,they sell a clone of the Scubatools Adjuster, order number TL121......

One of my first stages is an Aqualung Calypso, dry version. They have this socket at Scubatools that is double sided. One side takes off the dry part, and it looks like you flip it around to take off the part that looks like it could be taken off with a large open end wrench. The dry part doesn't have the wholes that you would normally use a spanner on. It has these slots on the end. It looks like that socket is just what you need to get this thing apart. I've got my rebuild kit and I'm itching to get this thing opened up.

The rest are Apeks, and it looks like you need a special tool to get the purge cover off the second stages. I've also got a Mares Abyss that is the easiest breathing reg I have ever used, and an old Sherwood that just refuses to die, but both of those look like they would be easy to service. I stay as far away from Scubapro regs as I can.

I'm new to doing my own service, and that tool came highly recommended.

Try XS Scuba,they sell a clone of the Scubatools Adjuster, order number TL121......

Thanks. I really like all the XS Scuba stuff I have. I didn't realize that they sold that tool. I need to mention that after I made that post, I got a call back from scubatools. They are crediting that shipping charge, and sending my order out today. They say I will have it tomorrow, so we will see how it goes. I'm meeting up with some guys Saturday that have done some work for a local shop, so if I have everything by then, we should be good to go.

interesting...

I kept having issues placing my order online, sent them an email and no response...

perhaps I should have tried posting here first ;-)

Reactions: Jax
Last edited:
I have never had a problem with Scubatools. I started using them ten years ago when they were still in Ohio. The in line tool makes things very nice. The one sold by DGX will not work on HOG second stages.

The Scubatools hex has a taper that the DGX one lacks. I have had two students need to send theirs back to DGX.

HOG also does not recommend a generic pin spanner. Unless you have a waterjet and Bridgeport mill like I do available to make a proper size one, you need the number 6 spanner and .140 pin for the D1 and D2 1st stages. For the D3 you also need the number 3 spanner.

Seen a few tore up retainers from people using a generic adjustable spanner that slipped.

Don't know all of the details or reasons, but remember there was a lot of winter weather, they're about 10 miles from me. Snow turned to sleet and ice. Started Thursday night and until the yesterday roads were still bad and I live in town. The country roads in their area don't get a lot of attention so it takes a little longer out there. The Postal Service was scheduled to deliver me a package on Monday and it's still not here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom