Alternatives to scubatools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohh yeah, I heard about the snow slowing down emails too. . . ;-)

If you sent me an email at work from Thursday on you did;t get an answer until today, smart....response

If you were in a customer service business I would assume you would check email remotely. But that could just be me.

I am not really worried though. I will reach out to Herman and see what he has, I checked his website his list there is nice.

I have ordered from them twice. The quality of the tools has been excellent. Communication and shipping not so much. And I too live spitting distance away. First order I got the confirmation email and nothing else until package showed up about 2 weeks later. Next order I knew what to expect so didn't call until I had not heard or seen anything for 3 weeks. They said orders were delayed due to DEMA then family emergency but getting orders out that week. Fair enough, stuff happens but a heads up or notification of delay would have been nice. Still didn't get order till the week after.

I have never had a problem with Scubatools. I started using them ten years ago when they were still in Ohio. The in line tool makes things very nice. The one sold by DGX will not work on HOG second stages.

The Scubatools hex has a taper that the DGX one lacks. I have had two students need to send theirs back to DGX.

HOG also does not recommend a generic pin spanner. Unless you have a waterjet and Bridgeport mill like I do available to make a proper size one, you need the number 6 spanner and .140 pin for the D1 and D2 1st stages. For the D3 you also need the number 3 spanner.

Seen a few tore up retainers from people using a generic adjustable spanner that slipped.

Thanks Jim. I have the number six, and a full set of pins on the way. They sent it FedEx next day.

I've never had an issue with them and I've placed orders a half a dozen times. It's a small business and small issues can sometimes cause huge delays. One thing's for sure: you can't beet the quality. I made my living with my tools and my hands for many, many years and there's nothing to replace fit and finish. He's coming out with a mondo new pin wrench.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom