Possible UPS strike - DGX ships UPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Less than this ceo pay, who Carrys no packages and sits in a climate controlled office
$1,250,000 ($104,167 per month
The part time guys make something like $15/hour. Union wants to raise that to $20/hour. From what I’ve read, the full timers can make close to $100K a year, but I’m not sure if that includes the OT. A friend’s husband works for UPS. Supervisor responsible for getting trucks loaded. He’s been there for something like 25 years. Works 12 hour days, 6 days a week.

The part time guys make something like $15/hour. Union wants to raise that to $20/hour. From what I’ve read, the full timers can make close to $100K a year, but I’m not sure if that includes the OT. A friend’s husband works for UPS. Supervisor responsible for getting trucks loaded. He’s been there for something like 25 years. Works 12 hour days, 6 days a week.
They can get a lot of ot when the season is right, they also get layoffs and route changes if the load drops off. They are paid well but it’s hard work.

around here Taco Bell is paying close to $20 just to get people to go in.

In the distribution centers people were making 9 bucks an hour. In 1978. Min wage was like 2.75 or something.
One of my college roommates got a job there. No breaks for under 5 hour shifts (part timers), 6 hour shifts that turned into 9s and 10s. 1/2 hour for lunch on those and if you had to take a piss you needed to make sure there was someone to jump into your place on the line. If not, you got screamed at for taking more than a couple minutes.
This was in Columbus, Ohio and we would have 20-30 people from every semester get work there.
Most lasted a couple of weeks because even with part timers who they knew were students, they expected the job to come before the private technical school they attended.
Some walked in the middle of their first shift it was so bad.

Around here they are also pressing to get A/C in the delivery trucks.

My typical DGX shipment arrives USPS. I have been delaying since I don't that stuff cooking to death in my mail box until I get home.

I would expect most folks in the US have heard about the UPS strike that could happen 8/1. But here’s the important thing for us divers:

DGX ships via UPS domestically. I believe Scuba.com does, as well.

If you need to order something, the sooner the better. Don’t count on businesses being able to ship via FedEx. Last I read, Fedex was going to restrict businesses to the volume they had this week, so new business shippers would likely be out of luck.
I know all about it.
My kid works for UPS and she said office staff might have to drive, she’s office staff so she might be driving. The drivers know this and don’t consider them scabs. It’s been arranged, they won’t look to outside sources for labor.
The drivers want to unionize.

I’ve got some customers who ship small stuff from overseas via UPS. They’ve already been instructed to ship regular air freight if the strike happens. More expensive, but they’ll get their stuff, at least.
UPS also has a $50K value limit (I had to ship my laser scanner to EIVA in Denmark). Luckily DHL saved my behind.

I know all about it.
My kid works for UPS and she said office staff might have to drive, she’s office staff so she might be driving. The drivers know this and don’t consider them scabs. It’s been arranged, they won’t look to outside sources for labor.
The drivers want to unionize.
Drivers are Teamsters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom