Diving or Duty

• Diving

Votes: 182 90.1%
  • Duty

Votes: 20 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar:
I've got an air fill that says this thread will get a response in the second half of 2009 telling you what to do, even though that was already settled many, many posts ago. Anyone want to take me up on it? :D

Sure.

Gotta come back up this way to get it though!

ClayJar:
I've got an air fill that says this thread will get a response in the second half of 2009 telling you what to do, even though that was already settled many, many posts ago. Anyone want to take me up on it? :D

I'll take that bet if we also wager that the thread will receive a post in the last half of 2008. I'm actually composing that post now. :D

Not attending a baptism does not make you a bad person. In every relationship, there has to be compromises and it looks like it is time for your significant other to understand that there are some things that make you the person that you are (hopefully he loves you for who you are, not for doing everything he says) and going for your AOW is part of that. If he insists that you cancel because of the baptism, I would have to say that he does not have your best interest in mind. I am sure that the baby's parent's will understand, and the baby is too young to know that you are not even there.

I'm one of the few that voted for duty. I did it with the assumption that you are wanting to stay with your boyfriend. Whether you do or not, you really ought to tell him up front that your diving is more important to you than his friends and THEIR special occasions. Get that out in the open now. And remember, if you do stay together his friends MIGHT become your friends, doubtful, but possible.

I really have no strong opinion. I just can't believe how many posts there are in this thread and just wanted to keep it going :D

Spady:
I really have no strong opinion. I just can't believe how many posts there are in this thread and just wanted to keep it going :D

LOL...I know. Isn't it great?

I love all the relationship advice too - even though no one knows any of the specifics of the relationships in question.

A bad person is someone who does bad things on purpose, without regard for other's feelings or outcome.

By not attending your boyfriends best friends, baby baptism.... do you think you fall in that category?

If yes, then you are a self proclaimed bad person. If no, then you are not.

Personally I do not think it is an issue, I would just claim insanity, atheism or first come first serve (the diving came first). If all fails and boyfriend is upset (he is the only one that really has any say in this), make up later. Sometimes it is okay to do now and ask for forgiveness later.

Tell your boyfriend that on the day in question, you're showing up wearing mask, snorkel, fins, boots, BC, regulator and tank. Ask him which event he'd like you to show up for.

muddiver:
Check the masculinity signs of boyfriend, and reasses relationship.

lol

yes, Rick has a good idea---the "nice gift" concept works for me. If I feel guilty (not saying you should...) but a nice gift goes a long way to making you feel better.

I did not attend my own son's bris, I was outside smoking a cigarette with my best friend....and I don't smoke!

I think I need to clarify something here.
Duty always trumps diving.
However... I just don't think attending your boyfriend's friend's baby's Christening meets the duty standard.
I do think that for your boyfriend, encouraging you to attend the AOW class and covering for you at the Baptism does meet the duty standard, and he should do his duty.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom