Diving or Duty

• Diving

Votes: 182 90.1%
  • Duty

Votes: 20 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier:
And remember, if you do stay together his friends MIGHT become your friends, doubtful, but possible.
Hmm... I'd better figure out whose friend I am, then. Let's see, if I'm RJ's friend, I can probably win more hands... but if I'm ecky's friend, I'll probably get to play more, as I won't have made one too many jokes.

Hehe, honestly, I'm probably worse than RJ, but if we don't get an ISOSAD: AND UGLY scheduled, how will any of us ever know?!? :D

("ISOSAD: AND UGLY" is, of course, the not-yet-scheduled ISOSAD gathering. The unabbreviated name being ISOSAD: Air/Nitrox Dives for Underwater Gaming, Leisure, and You. Obviously, ISOSAD is the International Semi-Organized ScubUNO Association of Divers, but everyone remembered that, eh?)

(... just to keep it going...)

If "boyfriend" = long time, live-in partner and you are thought of as essentially married by those involved, then duty wins out. It is basically an obligatin to your family (your boyfriend being in effect family).

If "boyfriend" = guy you happen to be dating this month, diving wins hands down.

I'd say the fall over point between duty and diving is about 3-4 months of exclusive dating and/or you've had a serious conversation about marriage.

ClayJar:
Hmm... I'd better figure out whose friend I am, then. Let's see, if I'm RJ's friend, I can probably win more hands... but if I'm ecky's friend, I'll probably get to play more, as I won't have made one too many jokes.

Hehe, honestly, I'm probably worse than RJ, but if we don't get an ISOSAD: AND UGLY scheduled, how will any of us ever know?!? :D

("ISOSAD: AND UGLY" is, of course, the not-yet-scheduled ISOSAD gathering. The unabbreviated name being ISOSAD: Air/Nitrox Dives for Underwater Gaming, Leisure, and You. Obviously, ISOSAD is the International Semi-Organized ScubUNO Association of Divers, but everyone remembered that, eh?)

I doubt you are worse than RJ, except for scrabble, there's hardly a game that he can win. I shared my Civilization addiction with him and put CIV III on his computer. He's the only person I know that can't win at CIV on the settler level. And he's played a ton of games on it, but still can't win...it's rather comical....

That, and I just wanted to quote your post about ISOSAD: AND UGLY. ISOSAD and ScubUNO get far too little face time in the diving community.

And does any besides me get the feeling that people are just posting to this thread and not reading it?

Eckybay-

Alternatives for your consideration:

1. Present the argument (widely accepted as fact) that engineers are socially inept, bady socialized, and generally avoided at all social functions. Logical conclusion: go diving.

2. Civil engineers are associated with high value targets. Logical conclusion: your active presence endangers the child, his parents, and all close friends and relatives. Go diving.

3. Females are famous for their thermonuclear reactions to being taken for granted. Explain to RJ that you are sparing his feelings to such a theatrical presentation and going to diving instead. (RJ- be properly appreciative. You don't want to wittness the alternative.)

If you need any of these alternatives discussed in any detail, just start a thread. :D

Dive safe,

Art

lol Desert_Diver....great alternatives....I have saved them to use as needed in the future. Unfortunately, I think RJ has witnessed No. 3 on an occasion or two in the past.

(as it may be...a bit more traditional alternative presented itself. I talked RJ into taking the class as well - okay, not much talking into to do really...and the instructor is fine with us doing the Saturday dives as scheduled and doing the Sunday dives that conflicted with the baptism on another date. I may have to come down with a 24 hour flu now to get out of it. But I'm sure I can come up with another equally intriguing topic to discus. Perhaps: Why will RJ have dinner with my mom and step dad but not my bio-father? or Does RJ's parents only like me because it means they don't have to worry about taking care of him any more? I'll provide no further details. Please assume what you will, the more creative, the better.)

Based soley on the informaton provided, this seems an equity/respect issue within the relationship. You cancelled your class last year because of commitment on his part to his friend. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that. This year you are again being asked to cancel your plans. Perhaps nothing wrong with that either. I am thinking it's time to have a conversation about time and social commitments and what's important to the two of you. Are you going to forego a diving class once again and endure a baptism all the while feeling some level of resentment that once again you gave up something important to you? Is your BF going to be resentful that you don't respect his friends enough to attend an event which has some level of important to him and them?? This is not a monumental issue in the cosmic sense of defining who you are, but it is the stuff that makes and breaks relationships when it occurs repeatedly. You seem invested in your BF, I'm guessing he has investment in you. You want a supportive and cooperative relationship, talk to him and let him know how you feel and what you would like. If he deserves you, he'll listen and respect what you have to say. If you deserve him, you'll do same. Then you can make a decision together that the two of you can live with.

eckybay:
That, and I just wanted to quote your post about ISOSAD: AND UGLY. ISOSAD and ScubUNO get far too little face time in the diving community.
The new [thread=194599]main ISOSAD thread[/thread] is now up in the Dork Divers forum. In addition to all the background and such, I included a poll so we can all get ourselves on the list (so anyone can become a member without us having to get around to it :biggrin:). Feel free to post more details and such on the thread, of course. I tried to get the Cliff's Notes version in there, but there are oodles more details, of course.

eckybay:
And does any besides me get the feeling that people are just posting to this thread and not reading it?
Hehe, but *nobody* would ever post without thoroughly perusing and comprehending the entire thread first! That's just crazy talk! :rofl3:

You already gave up the opportunity for the wedding last summer. If this is the next opportunity for you to take the course, it's time to prioritize your course.

--Matt

It's not what we think that matters. It's what you think about what your significant other thinks about your actions that counts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom