Am I allowed to start a new "what computer" thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of my beloved HelO2 computers has died, or at least had a major psychotic episode that isn't going to get better. I have been out of the computer market for 12 years, so have no idea what's going on (!), hence the question, what computer? I'm sure it's been done to death, so apologies.

Requirements:

1. Ideally, user changeable battery, but charged through the case if that makes sense, preferably wireless charging rather than electrodes. I assume they're all rechargeable now?

2. Ideally, bungee mount (included, aftermarket or DIY).

3. Hate to admit this to myself, but something that is friendly to older eyes, i.e. bigger numbers! 😭

4. Algorithm. That's a funny one, the source of many an argument on the internet, but who really knows? Let's just say not super conservative, or at least user adjustable.

5. Single gas, air or nitrox recreational percentages. I think my days of more adventurous diving have ended, but I would like the right to enter a small amount of mandatory decompression :)

6. Doesn't have to be cheap, but not super expensive as I'll probably end up buying two to be used at the same time (solo diver).

OR do I just stick with what I know and buy one or two Zoops Or Vypers (can't seem much benefit in paying more for the Vypers)? I see they come with conservatism adjustment settings now (like the HelO2). Can always hold them at arms length in order to read the numbers 🤣

Cheers.

Shearwater Teric. Won't lock you out, well documented algorithm, great display for older eyes.

You did not mention if cordless air integration is important to you. If not, you can look into Shearwater Peregrine.

Thanks for the replies. I specifically DON'T want air integration. Maybe it works these days, but I've had a bad experience in the past. On the basis of 15 minutes internet research, the Shearwater Peregrine is looking good.

Thanks for the replies. I specifically DON'T want air integration. Maybe it works these days, but I've had a bad experience in the past. On the basis of 15 minutes internet research, the Shearwater Peregrine is looking good.
I switched from a Geo 2 to a Peregrine this year, mainly because of the 61 year old eyes, and it has been great. I like the ability to see everything without having to strain, and the colored format helps as well. Not too many dives on it yet, but has already paid for itself in ease of use :p.

Erik

I bought a peregrine earlier this year and really like it. I found the UI a little frustrating at first, but i got used to it once I had used it a bit. It has some great features like vibration alarms, easy to read display, gf99/surface gf etc.

I’m running it alongside my mares smart for solo diving. They’re similar enough algorithms that it doesn’t bother me too much to have different ndls. Interestingly, I’ve found the mares smart to be considerably less conservative for 20-25m depth than the peregrine with both computers set too low conservatism. The peregrine is less conservative almost everywhere else.

I really think the peregrine should have an apnea mode and it would be nice if it had AI. That’s about all I don’t like about it though.

Another happy Peregrine owner here. About 150 dives on it with no glitches. The algorithm is more or less completely tunable, but it does behave differently with respect to repetitive diving than e.g. the Suunto Zoop my dive buddy is using. Roughly speaking the Peregrine (or ZHL-16C in general) is more conservative on the first dive and less on later dives _relative to the Zoop_. What is really happening is that the Peregrine stays the same and Zoop invokes various penalties on the second dive. I ended up making the gradient factors a bit less conservative (GFHi=85, from 75) to reduce the mismatch. By the end of a multilevel dive it rarely matters anyway.

God knows what Suunto computers do. I briefly owned a Vyper, my wife has a Gekko and as mentioned, I had two HelO2s for many years. Was very happy with the HelO2s, they ran on a mofidied RGBM algorithm and the decompression profile made sense to me. Can't say the same for the Vyper or Gekko! All over the place.

I would also look at a Ratio iX3M Pro 2, but it also has a rechargeable battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom