Am I allowed to start a new "what computer" thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to from the large, bright screen, the complely tunable conservatism, the intuitive (to me at least) UI, and the excellent customer support, one of the best features of Shearwater computers is SurfGF.

Having a real-time numerical value on my nitrogen load allows me to make better decisions about my diving.

Coming from a Suunto, you will be blown away.

Thanks for the replies. I specifically DON'T want air integration. Maybe it works these days, but I've had a bad experience in the past. On the basis of 15 minutes internet research, the Shearwater Peregrine is looking good.
Me too. I bought two Peregrines just for that reason, no AI. I would have taken a compass but AI is a full stop for me. I do not want it, will not have it, no green eggs and ham for me.

Large, bright screen, easy interface, SW Cloud is easy, bungee or strap out of the box. Runs for a week of diving, charges quickly. Excellent support, at least until a Huish or Johnson Outdoors or such buys them out.

Me too. I bought two Peregrines just for that reason, no AI. I would have taken a compass but AI is a full stop for me. I do not want it, will not have it, no green eggs and ham for me.

Large, bright screen, easy interface, SW Cloud is easy, bungee or strap out of the box. Runs for a week of diving, charges quickly. Excellent support, at least until a Huish or Johnson Outdoors or such buys them out.

They were already acquired by BRS, a NYC PE firm in 2021. Unlikely now to be sold to any of the firms on your list.

God knows what Suunto computers do.
That's sort of the problem. They acquired the rights to use the RGBM name at some point, but there's no way of knowing what their computers are actually running. Early versions on which they claimed to be using the algorithm obviously lacked the computing power to do so. More modern versions might or might not be running the actual full algorithm, but it's a guessing game.

Comments about the Peregrine are positive. The only downside I can see is the factory replaceable battery. Seems like a hassle, but guess I could live with it.
The unit would need to go in for servicing anyway before the battery would stop recharging. Divetronix is the authorized service shop in the US. Had my Perdix serviced there and it was a great experience. Total turnaround (shipping and service) was about a week. You can call Richard at Divetronix to determine if battery replacement is part of the maintenance service or extra.

Your HelO2 was designed for technical diving. I gather from everything else that you don't really need a trimix computer, even though that is what you used before. The Peregrine is not a trimix computer.

I went down your path recently and, after a lot of time online, settled on German manufacture Heinrich Weikamp (HW)

If you want Buhlmann algorithms with adjustable gradient factors (which you do) then I would rate HW and Shearwater as the top manufacturers. Both have great service.

I went for the HW OSTC+ as I wanted a user-replaceable rechargeable battery. The battery charges wirelessly inside the housing - I get around 15-20 dives per charge, and can use a AA battery if need be.

I also prefer the layout and screen of the OSTC compared to shearwater - its bright, customizable and has a large text setting for older eyes. It also doesn't remind me of an excel table.

It comes fitted with bungee, the basic model does nitrox/100% O2 and you can upgrade the computer software later to trimix or rebreather O2 monitoring if need be.

I don't think you can go wrong with either HW or Shearwater.

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom