Am i bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With those profiles and the delay in onset of symptoms, DCS is highly unlikely. I would seek the advice of a physician and perhaps make a call to DAN just to be on the safe side.

I'll agree based on the delay in symptoms. But, depending upon exactly how close those were to square dives (straight down to depth, stay there, then surface, no significant time at shallower depths, those put you WAY past the tables NDLs. Those profiles with only 1 hour SIT could do it.

I think a call to DAN is in order for better advice.

Ken

I'll agree based on the delay in symptoms. But, depending upon exactly how close those were to square dives (straight down to depth, stay there, then surface, no significant time at shallower depths, those put you WAY past the tables NDLs. Those profiles with only 1 hour SIT could do it.

I think a call to DAN is in order for better advice.

Ken
The 20+ posts after his first one are not a long read. He did.

A poll would have been nice: read post 1, vote, move on.

the DAN help line guy really focused on the fact that it had been 36+ hours before any symptoms and the fact that I flew and didn't experience any symptoms then...

I did spend a fair amount of time above the max depths on both dives -just wanted to record the max depth from the gauges for the experts. The second dive especially I was probably at 40 feet for 3/4 the dive and on both dives i gave conservative 5-minute safety stops when i actually was there for probably closer to 8 minutes on each.

On the alcohol and caffeine - lesson learned. This was a first time at an all-inclusive resort and we had a waiter bringing the family drinks on the beach nonstop - I just didn't think enough about it at the time. It wasn't like I was wasted or anything but i was definitely dehydrated looking back. Typically i would dive in the AM and have a beer or two with lunch along with a water or two and that would be that.

rrutecky,

Please, please, please, do not EVER seek medical advice on an internet forum for something which could have been an EMERGENCY. Call DAN AND go to an ER/doctor if you are questioning something so serious.

I called EMS last week. Although my issue was not diving related, good thing I did not seek advice from an internet forum first. I was hospitalized for a week and am fine and going back to work Wednesday. SEE how easy that is to access medical care in the proper way? And how well it turns out? Think of what your course might have been had you BEEN in DCS, and lollygagged around here seeking your advice before getting medical attention. You could have had a really bad outcome due to the time delay.

I'm not trying to be harsh on you. I just think sometimes people on these forums need to remember the difference between questions like "I keep having recurrent otitis externa" and "I think I might be in DCS."

Safe and healthy diving to you.

On the alcohol and caffeine - lesson learned. This was a first time at an all-inclusive resort and we had a waiter bringing the family drinks on the beach nonstop - I just didn't think enough about it at the time. It wasn't like I was wasted or anything but i was definitely dehydrated looking back. Typically i would dive in the AM and have a beer or two with lunch along with a water or two and that would be that.

I believe the evidence for dehydration contributing to DCS is mixed and rather inconclusive with the exceptions of severe dehydration. I have read a few studies and some showed a link and some did not. Once you lose 2-3% of your normal body weight it may become a factor. That is not to say that it is not a risk factor at all but just that it is a weak one under normal circumstances. Paying attention to depth and time is always more important, and it sounds like you did that for most if not all of your dives.

I believe the evidence for dehydration contributing to DCS is mixed and rather inconclusive with the exceptions of severe dehydration. I have read a few studies and some showed a link and some did not. Once you lose 2-3% of your normal body weight it may become a factor. That is not to say that it is not a risk factor at all but just that it is a weak one under normal circumstances. Paying attention to depth and time is always more important, and it sounds like you did that for most if not all of your dives.
I don't know if you're a diver or not, your profile doesn't say, but that contradicts everything else I have ever read on the subject. Lacking any evidence, I think I'll the advice of DAN and hundreds of divers more experienced than I and keep working at hydration. Even I can understand how dehydration would lead to an immediate reduction in body fluids, including blood volume to handle the micro bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom