Am I bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay B.

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello experts, I will describe first my dive profile then state my symptom.

I am taking my Advanced certification with an instructor. We went diving to 147 feet and stayed there for less then 5 minutes, at that time, I felt some pain in my ankles when fining. While ascending slowly the pain disappeared. And after the dive and now been a week, no pain or any symptoms shown. This discomfort happened on the 2 deep dives at 147 feet a week between each dive. I was following instructor safe stops and the total dive time was 27 minutes. The ascend was not vertical, we where ascending along a valley with an angle to it.
Water temp around 25C. Well hydrated. No alcohol before dive.
No itching, pain or unusual side effected.
thank you for your help.

YES! WITHOUT A DOUBT!!

Well...

No. Probably not. DCS happens (generally speaking) as a result of ascent. It isn't going to manifest at depth then go away as you come up. However, I am not a diagnostician and as @sheeper suggests if you are at all worried DAN is where you ask the question.

HOWEVER, I'm curious what certification level and through which agency an instructor is bringing you to 147 feet?

If I understand you correctly, you had pain in the ankle during the dive, that pain went away during the ascent, and you have had no symptoms after that. You have been symptom free for a week. Is that true?

If that is true, it is extremely unlikely that you are bent.

I do want to ask other questions, though. Your profile says you have 0-24 total dives, and you said you were taking an "Advanced" certification class. Which agency is that through? Your profile says you are certified through Las Salinas, but that is a location, not a certification agency. Is it the typical Advanced Open Water class taught by agencies like PADI, NAUI, SSI, SDI, etc.?

Reactions: oya
Hello
If I understand you correctly, you had pain in the ankle during the dive, that pain went away during the ascent, and you have had no symptoms after that. You have been symptom free for a week. Is that true?

If that is true, it is extremely unlikely that you are bent.

I do want to ask other questions, though. Your profile says you have 0-24 total dives, and you said you were taking an "Advanced" certification class. Which agency is that through? Your profile says you are certified through Las Salinas, but that is a location, not a certification agency. Is it the typical Advanced Open Water class taught by agencies like PADI, NAUI, SSI, SDI, etc.?

Hello John,

That is correct, I am not feeling any more symptoms right now, I also been working out for 22 years, i do not know if that what might helped bringing the pain to ankles.
Las Salinas is a resort wherethey offer Padi certification from a PADI instructor. I finished the open water after 5 dives and jump right into Advanced.
thank you for the input.

Las Salinas is a resort wherethey offer Padi certification from a PADI instructor.
Well, the reason people are concerned is that the maximum depth allowed by PADI for the deep dive in the Advanced class is 100 feet.

Perhaps there's an error in converting meters to feet?

Well 147 meters is DEFINITELY off the table for AOW.

OP:
If your PADI Advanced Open Water Instructor is bringing you any deeper than 100 feet/30 meters I strongly recommend you seek out a different instructor. I could go on for a very, very long time about the dangers this person is introducing both to you personally and to the sport. But the shortest possilbe form is that this person is in serious violation of PADI Standards and should be reported.

However, again to reiterate: no, you are very probably not bent. You are currently very probably just fine. Do, however, reconsider ever diving with that instructor again so that you stay that way.

Well, the reason people are concerned is that the maximum depth allowed by PADI for the deep dive in the Advanced class is 100 feet.

OP:
If your PADI Advanced Open Water Instructor is bringing you any deeper than 100 feet/30 meters I strongly recommend you seek out a different instructor. I could go on for a very, very long time about the dangers this person is introducing both to you personally and to the sport. But the shortest possilbe form is that this person is in serious violation of PADI Standards and should be reported.

However, again to reiterate: no, you are very probably not bent. You are currently very probably just fine. Do, however, reconsider ever diving with that instructor again so that you stay that way.

OP:

Hello Oya,

Depth to 45 meter/ 147 feet not 147 meters. But I will seeks different instructor. thank you for the advise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom