Am I good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought this thread would of been done by now lol.

It probably should be. But apparently we're too busy arguing about your weight as though you're not even here...

And btw, you should probably ignore basically everything any of us have said about your weight on either side of this little argument. Considering that we don't even really know what you look like let alone your medical history, we're not really in a position to comment on your size with any sort of authority... Speaking for myself, even though I was arguing that someone your age, height, and weight could be perfectly healthy, I have no way to know whether you're actually in that category or not -- I don't have any reason to assume you're overweight, but I also don't have any way to know that you're actually not medically obese. So really, if you're not totally sure, just ask your doctor about it at your next checkup. For that matter, even if you are sure, it wouldn't hurt to ask (your doctor should be keeping track of your height and weight anyway, so it doesn't even mean any extra work for them or anything -- it's just a matter of telling you something that's already in their notes), both just in case it's something to keep an eye on but also as sort of an extra layer of protection to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't get to you unnecessarily.

6'-3" and 250 pounds is a BMI of 31.2. That is obese.

Although I cannot claim to be a rabid Bronco fan, we in Denver do have an interest there.

According to official NFL stats, speedy, undersized running back Correll Buckhalter has a BMI of 30.3. Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow comes in with a BMI of 30.6. I guess their obesity must be the reason that neither is starting. After all, starting running back Knowshon Moreno, a tiny, wimpy looking guy who has to reply on speed rather than power because he is so undersized, is just under the obese level at 29.3.

I am not saying the OP does not have a weight problem. I am just saying we don't know with the information we have at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake,

By way of comparison, I am also 6 foot 3 but only 200 pounds. In terms of fitness, my double steel 120s weigh just shy of 100 pounds when full and I can comfortably get into the water and climb the ladder with them afterwards. Truth is BMI means very little. You should consider your body fat percentage (I am at about 22% which is a touch high for a male looking to do serious diving). If you are happy to do OW, AOW and rescue you will probably be fine. It sounds like you have some doubts, so why not check with the doctor?

Cardio is important. At the age of 15, your body is probably young enough to handle what you throw at it. It is a game of statistics and chances of a heart attack are higher once you have tripled your age, but for you that is still two lifetimes away.

Even so, under stress conditions persons with poor cardio are more likely to gulp air and over breath a regulator. This is especially true if you are in a current or other difficult conditions. Basically this gives you a greater risk of panic and doing something stupid when your are in tough conditions. I actually know of one case where the cause of death was panic and bolting for the surface after someone couldn't fight a current with the rest of the dive team and started to lag behind.

Different body tissues off gas at different rates. I am not an expert, but from what I have read, fat tends to have poor circulation and off gas a little slower, so set your computer to be conservative (or dive the tables conservatively). Again probably not a major issue if you are within recreational limits.

Overall, I would say check with a doctor, do the course, dive within your limits and have fun!

Last edited:
I don't mind the arguing at all.. Cause some of you aren't really getting anywhere. I am just considering the positive posts of this thread and I'm thanking all who have helped. Some are downing me just because of my weight and going "By the Book" and I don't even know all of you. Just because I am 250lbs does not stop me from doing the things and hobbies I do today. I could care less.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've deleted several posts and have edited others to remove quoted material that came from the deleted posts. Please discuss the issues at hand but leave personal judgments about the various participants in the discussion unsaid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom