Am I paranoid to consider analyzing recreational air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never mind. That was silly because people who routinely dive mixes that need to be analyzed probably don't use air integrated computers off a single tank.

Also, it only needs to be done once. I was just thinking how nice it would be to have the reassurance of knowing what you're breathing and how much of it there is with each glance at the gauge. Which answered my own question when I said gauge. Of course, we use color detectors to indicate CO2 when a patient exhales. It'd be really cool to have an SPG with a faceplate that indicated the mix of gas present by color! (A little off topic from analyzing now, and more towards labeling)

If you had an SPG that was green at 21% O2, and then faded to other colors when the O2 content increased, what would that get you?

In other words, what would the MOD be for a nitrox mix that was reddish green?

I was fantasizing more than brainstorming. I understand that this isn't Star Trek, and that things don't always work how you'd like to imagine they could.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2013 at 10:19 PM ----------

So, to get things back on track after having high jacked my own thread.

Is there an analyzer that will measure O2 content for nitrox and also detect CO? I've been looking around and seeing a variety of analyzers and CO detectors, but nothing that does both, or even a set sold together... Why is that? This seems like an old topic.

If you had an SPG that was green at 21% O2, and then faded to other colors when the O2 content increased, what would that get you?

In other words, what would the MOD be for a nitrox mix that was reddish green?

A leak in your SPG? Gas fills your SPG and then there is a very slight flow of gas exiting as you consume your supply. The gas that fills you SPG will consist mostly of whatever gas was in your 1st stage HP chamber and HP hose.

ludwigsv, you are a customer and a diver. As a customer ask to check out the fill station, banks and compressor, most people will be happy to brag about their compressor and setup. It should look well organized and well maintained. Perhaps a maintenance log next to the compressor; signs of a tight operation.

If they are not a nitrox/O2/He operation and running a compressor right into the tanks with no nearby sources of CO you are probably good to go.

If they are a nitrox shop, they should of course have an analyzer and either let you use it or slap it on the tank and show you what's inside.

Are there any recreational divers out there that analyze their air before diving? I've read enough accident reports and "close calls" where tech divers have discovered their tanks contain the wrong mixture. Is it possible for a recreational diver to walk out of a dive shop with a bottle of oxygen or nitrox? I know the tanks are supposed to be labeled, and I'm sure the shops take all the precautions in the world possible... but does it happen?

Anyone here ever come across a recreational diver that was either found to have been breathing the wrong air, or maybe had a close call? Perhaps I've just been reading too many scary scuba stories...

I would not buy an analyzer just to check air but if you are already equipped to do so then why not?

A leak in your SPG? Gas fills your SPG and then there is a very slight flow of gas exiting as you consume your supply. The gas that fills you SPG will consist mostly of whatever gas was in your 1st stage HP chamber and HP hose.

that's a good point that I didn't consider. If you change the mix in your tank, it wouldn't be reflected in the "spg analyzer" unless it was purged or had a continuous flow.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2013 at 08:48 AM ----------

Is there an analyzer that will measure O2 content for nitrox and also detect CO?

never seen one, but always thought that would be a good idea

Well, after a fairly exhaustive search, it would appear that even though this topic was beat to death back in 2011, there is still no such magical analyzer that will measure O2 and screen for CO. There are plenty of units for each, but neither are inexpensive. Except of course for the El Cheapo, which I'm going to pass on for now. I wish I could find a copy of the instructions ahead of time to evaluate the feasibility of building my own.

Ludwigsv

O2 sensors are exceedingly expensive and degrade over a relatively short period of time. And as someone has already pointed out the gas mixture in your tank is not likely to change. Also swapping out tanks would require multiple transmitters to be used. All in all an expensive option with little to be gained from it.

That being said re breather computers do analyze their gas constantly and adjust the mix on the fly. But that is another ball park entirely beyond recreational diving.

I figured as much. I really think I've taken this thought process down the path of wishful thinking more so than practical application. I do plan to obtain my own analyzer at some point before I travel beyond the zone of diving with my trusted shop in pools and ponds.

I'm really excited to be getting back in to this sport, especially after my wife took a discover scuba course and is interested in her OW. I don't take risks with my family, so if its something we're going to do together, we're going to do it right. I will be obtaining an analyzer soon.

Right on man! Yeah safety always first! This thread inspired me to look into getting a CO analyzer of my own. I have been thinking about buying one for a while but time to put my money where my mouth is!

Sorry I had to laugh, I was born in '93! Woohoo Jr. OW cert! My mother actually stopped diving and didn't get back into it until last year when I did a refresher course for her. I hope you guys have some awesome dives together in the future! :)

---------- Post added September 9th, 2013 at 12:25 AM ----------

Ludwigsv

O2 sensors are exceedingly expensive and degrade over a relatively short period of time. And as someone has already pointed out the gas mixture in your tank is not likely to change. Also swapping out tanks would require multiple transmitters to be used. All in all an expensive option with little to be gained from it.

That being said re breather computers do analyze their gas constantly and adjust the mix on the fly. But that is another ball park entirely beyond recreational diving.

On my rebreather we replace O2 sensors after 1 year. Given $80/sensor/year, what is that like 16 coffees?

---------- Post added September 9th, 2013 at 12:27 AM ----------

That may be true, but the last 2 ox tox accidents discussed here came from tech divers breathing a rich gas from an otherwise marked tank. Well, that's the case from the man that died on the hydro in Florida.

The cave accident is a bit different as IIRC, the bottle was actually marked for the correct gas.

Yeah I heard about that. And yes while it does happen, I still think that gas switches make up the majority of accidents as opposed to incorrect labeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom