And what about the G7X ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It says it in the post f/5.6 still works with ambient light. If you stop f/8 you have only strobe shots as an option. The Sony lasts 2+ dives in video you are talking about 1.5x the canon and I rarely have to open the housing on a normal two tank dive. With the canon you will find yourself having to open the housing on small boats which I don't fancy. It was an issue on the S series and it's resolved putting the flash to manual on minimum for stills but video kills the battery regardless. For what concerns bitrate and color accuracy this is a when different topic and you need to look at the codecs not just at bitrate. Canon tends to push reds quite a bit even after white balance and I shoot the Sony with a filter so I don't bother white balancing at all one camera with f/1.8

---------- Post added March 6th, 2015 at 06:55 AM ----------

I also see the lack of a shutter priority video mode that is pretty essential so again with all due respect to back scatter their review seems a bit optimistic

I came across this thread while shopping for a compact last year, and thought I'd pass along a real-world update on the G7X battery issue because that had me concerned based on the comments above. The Canon NB-13L batteries definitely have shorter life than Wasabi NB-13L replacements. The Canon battery barely lasted a dive, but with a Wasabi battery I was able to get 2 solid cold water dives no problem. Big difference.

Overall, I'm very happy with the G7X in a Nauticam housing so far. The one-button white balance is a really nice feature and the images are as good as I could ask.

Lance

Thanks for the update. I'm still considering this camera (as well as the Sony Rx100M2). I don't suppose you have your images uploaded anywhere for public viewing, do you? (flickr, etc).

Thanks for the update. I'm still considering this camera (as well as the Sony Rx100M2). I don't suppose you have your images uploaded anywhere for public viewing, do you? (flickr, etc).

Sure thing, check out this gallery on my site. There's a good example of the 1-button white balance between the first two photos in the gallery.

This camera is far more capable than I am at this point. I'm still figuring things out, so these quarry dives were a great way to play with camera & flash settings. Definitely learned a lot about flash positioning & backscatter on these dives. :)

Lance

i have just bought a G7x but i have not had a chance to use it on a dive yet. does anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket batteries? just thinking if people are saying they may not last so well it could be an idea to have another one or 2 to use, but i was just reading about some issues with aftermarket batteries due to not having a chip in them

edit i have just seen lance's post so i will give them a try!

Last edited:
They recently announced a M2 of the G7X, due out in May. It seems they realized the battery was an issue and somewhat addressed it with this version (25% bump). Though, I don't know if they made the camera more efficient, or simply stuck a better battery in it.
Other changes:
"The Canon G7X Mark II has a faster startup, less noise when shooting at higher ISOs, better autofocus tracking, enhanced image stabilization, longer battery life and faster continuous shooting. The G7X Mark 2 also records 14-bit RAW files instead of 12-bit like the G7X."

Also, the dimension are very slightly different, so existing M1 housings will likely not work. The usual suspects appear to already be working on housings for it.

Full article:
Canon G7X Mark II Compact Camera Announced
Note: I hate when they call something they don't have their hands on a "review". This is more of a "preview".

Last edited:
I have been diving with my G7x over a year now and , of course, read of the battery life difficulty before buying. Batt life is fine for me. I shoot up to 100 images in 2 hours of dive time using the internal flash without running out of battery. Sometimes, the meter shows little life left and now and then the bat is close to empty or dead. If the batt is low, I can just turn off the camera for a bit until a new subject is available.....I DO top up the battery before leaving the house!

I have been diving with my G7x over a year now and , of course, read of the battery life difficulty before buying. Batt life is fine for me. I shoot up to 100 images in 2 hours of dive time using the internal flash without running out of battery. Sometimes, the meter shows little life left and now and then the bat is close to empty or dead. If the batt is low, I can just turn off the camera for a bit until a new subject is available.....I DO top up the battery before leaving the house!

I've been on A LOT of dives where I'd take well over 100 shots on just one dive. So, in those instances, I don't know that it would last two dives. Although, I'm in the habit of turning it off when I'm not shooting, so maybe it would. With my SeaLife, I'm used to having to swap the battery every dive, so that's no deal breaker for me anyway.

Do you have your images posted anywhere (flickr, etc)? I'm still trying to get a better idea of this camera's capabilities. Compared to the RX100, I have seen very few impressive wide angle or sunburst photos so far, but that could just be due to less people using the G7X so far.

The Canon G7X battery life by CIPA standards no where near reflects actual use. If shooting built in flash only I easily get 150+ shots and shooting available light CUSTOM white balance shots I did 325 before it finally died a one two tank trip last May.

CIPA standards are something like zooming in and out the complete range each shot, using flash 1/2 time etc.

I find a genuine Canon battery lasts longer (surprised to read one post above stating the opposite) and they hold charges for years where my luck with aftermarket such as Wasabi, Something 2000 or others saving a few $$$ initially isn't worth it IMHO.....

I also laugh when people complain about a small battery and its life just reading specs. They don't complain about the smaller camera system weight and cost savings versus some big mega $$$ cameras like the Sony A7 series and some mirrorless which have horrible battery life with a bigger battery.

Just one old guy's opinion but actual USER of a Canon G7X.

www.haasimages.com

Back
Top Bottom