And Yet One More!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wenont

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings all!

I have just returned from sunny Cozumel, right into the jaws of a snowstorm here in Massachusetts. Nice welcome home :)

It was during on diving excursion here that I found out about this board. Seriously. 24 years in the sport (Ok, ok...I took a few years off for good behavior... Erm...more like RL came and snatched me for a bit :) ) and I am just now crawling out from under my rock! I wish I had known about this site a long time ago as it has come with rave reviews!

I wish I could say that all was wonderful during my trip, but I would be fibbing. I was told by a fellow diver to come on out here and get to know the community, and to find out about a particular dive operation that myself, this fellow diver and my friends were booked with. They will be placing their threads here at some point about their poor experience.

Has anyone ever heard of Dive with Martin out of Cozumel? If so, did any of you have the experience that I describe below? Several of us that went on this dive cancelled all subsequent dives and hooked up with our resort operation called Dressel Divers, a top notch operation and one of the best I have ever gone diving with. We found out later that the nickname for this outfit on the island among dive shops is "DIE with Martin." No wonder....

Anyway, we were rushed on board at the onset, our gear thrown to the deck, and the crew was extremely rude. They did not ask for or even take our certification information, did not give us any documentation (ie. waiver forms, emergency contact info...) to sign and had no dive plan. The dive master asked US what we wanted to do! They did not ask any of us our diving experience or if we had any medical concerns, out side of any ear problems. When one spoke up the dive master said, "Oh, ok." and then told us all to suit up. There were several newly certified divers onboard and none were asked for any of the above.

I was pushed off the dive platform before I was prepared to enter the water...My mask was still on my forehead, there was no air in my BCD and I didn't have the regulator in my mouth. If I were a newbie I probably would have panicked and drowned because the dive master had already taken several that had gone in before me, and others, to the bottom. He did not wait at the surface for a safety check or the signal if we were all ok, or even if the group was together. They didn't even take a roll call or head count when we surfaced.

After the second dive we were rushed back to the hotel dock and literally pushed to disembark. If any of you plan to go diving on the island, steer clear of this operation. I have made a passenger complaint with the agent that booked us and plan on filling out a complaint against this shop with PADI, as they list approval with all the major certification organizations out there.

Well then, I am so sorry to ramble, but I felt that I needed to give the heads up to anyone not familiar with this company or any newbies out there that migh tbe heading out there anytime soon.. They are dangerous to dive with, unprofessional and do not operate as one might think a PADI approved shop would.

On a positive note, Dressal was fantastic and the rest of our dives were awesome! We even got to do some cave diving in the cenotes on the mainland. This is something I recommend to anyone NOT suffering from Claustrophobia :) It is like diving through liquid glass and swimming on the moon!

Take care and I hope to get to know the community here a bit more in the coming days!

Regards,

Raven

Welcome to the board! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience in Cozumel. When I was there I dove with Sand Dollar Sports and thought my experience was bad...yours takes the cake though.

Hi welcome to the SB don't forget to check out the NELD section. ScubaBoard - New England Lobsta Divahs
Lots of great people from all over the word to talk diving with as well as other stuff too.
GO PATS!! :D

Welcome to the sb. and thanks for the dive report. i will be going to Cozumel this spring, and I now know at least one operation to steer clear of...

smilies-2351.png

Never tried them. Many of us have our favs that we stick with. You are welcome to post your report on Cozumel sub-forum if you'd like, or Whine & Cheeze...?

Click Forums at the top to start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help...??

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:

WELCOME to SB!!!:balloon:balloon:balloon

I've seen the Dive with Martin "hut" at the port in Coz trying to sign up cruiseship passengers. I'm sorry about your experience. Sounds awful! But there are SO many ops in Coz that really are very good... glad that you found one that made the trip better! Good call cancelling when you did not feel comfortable!!

Glad you found SB... I'm addicted! But it's been invaluable every time we take off for a dive trip! And everyone on here has been awesome...

Greetings all!
I have just returned from sunny Cozumel, right into the jaws of a snowstorm here in Massachusetts. Nice welcome home :)

Has anyone ever heard of Dive with Martin out of Cozumel? If so, did any of you have the experience that I describe below? Several of us that went on this dive cancelled all subsequent dives and hooked up with our resort operation called Dressel Divers, a top notch operation and one of the best I have ever gone diving with. We found out later that the nickname for this outfit on the island among dive shops is "DIE with Martin." No wonder....

Anyway, we were rushed on board at the onset, our gear thrown to the deck, and the crew was extremely rude.

I was pushed off the dive platform before I was prepared to enter the water...My mask was still on my forehead, there was no air in my BCD and I didn't have the regulator in my mouth. If I were a newbie I probably would have panicked and drowned

Well then, I am so sorry to ramble, but I felt that I needed to give the heads up to anyone not familiar with this company or any newbies out there that migh tbe heading out there anytime soon.. They are dangerous to dive with, unprofessional and do not operate as one might think a PADI approved shop would.
Raven

Welcome to ScubaBoard. . . Click on the "Forums" button on the top of the page, a long list of topics opens up, scroll down to "Regional Travel. . . Mexico. . . Cozumel" and you can read what divers have to say about hotels, restaurants and of course dive operations.

Dive with Martin is one of the favorite operations, among the large operations, your experience is unusual, but it did happen to you and your message will be important for divers planning a trip. Many more divers report it as very good, New dive master? No way for us to know. . . Email Dive with Martin and explain your concerns with the management, they'll want to know.

You were pushed off the back of the boat. . . "a newbie would have panicked and drowned" You're exagerating, and that gives non-divers the idea that diving is dangerous. Only you were capable of surviving is far from the truth. It's annoying, sure, but dangerous? If your water skills are so poor, you are in the minority.

Check the travel sections before your next trip and look at the favorite dive shops that lots of dive travelers use. . . and if you have a bad experience, report it to the dive shop managers first, ScubaBoard second. I've been diving in Cozumel for over 10 years and this is only the second complaint I've heard about that shop. . . It did happen to you, so you did right to tell all of us, now do right by a good shop and report the bad dive master to Dive with Martin.

:colouredsmilies: Welcome to ScubaBoard! :colouredsmilies: Sorry to hear that you had a bad DO in Cozumel - but thanks for the heads up!

I just got back from Cozumel after Xmas. I ALMOST went with Dive with Martin, but then decided I loved my instructor so much from Dive House that I stuck with them the whole time - Thank GOD! From my previous post - I am a solo diver (by request) but the whole crew from Dive House were so "mothering" since I was new and solo. I'm a lightweight and they would ALWAYS guide me to the edge (pretty much carrying me since my gear is so heavy) and help me off the platform, then made sure I was good to go before taking their eye off me. They never rushed me and much to my surprise kept an eye on me even when I thought they weren't looking. My last day I did a solo dive off the beach (where Dive House is located) and the guys walked all my equipment to the steps for me and helped me in. Then after the instructor was done with his lesson, he came and dove with me (my mom thinks they were worried because there was a REALLY strong current when I got in, so she said they were checking up on me!)
My mom and I were so sad to leave them after 7 days we almost cried (and she didn't even dive - they only helped her snorkel from the beach and she still got as attached to them as I did!). I can definitely see how a good or bad dive op can MAKE or BREAK your whole experience!
I recommend Dive House!

You were pushed off the back of the boat. . . "a newbie would have panicked and drowned" You're exagerating, and that gives non-divers the idea that diving is dangerous. Only you were capable of surviving is far from the truth. It's annoying, sure, but dangerous? If your water skills are so poor, you are in the minority.

Ouch!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom