Andreas is leaving Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After many farewell to Curacao dives with friends and colleagues, a couple of goodbye dinners, many hugs and good wishes, and OK, maybe a few tears, Andreas has (really) left the island and is back on firm German soil. Firm? It's probably still frozen! Enjoy your family and friends Andreas! The sun is out here, nice breeze and it's 86 degrees........

Man Sunshine...you really know how to hurt a girl

Hi guys,

I made it back to Germany and started wearing woolen socks immediately - I am missing Curacao already, but have a photo of Sunshine's puppies on my computer as desktop background to remind me of the wonderful time spent there! And for breakfast I am going to have the mint brownies Sunshine gave me when I left!

Greetings from Hamburg
Andreas

You wouldn't happen to be the same Andreas I've been corresponding with via e-mail this week about our upcoming June 20 to July 4 Curacao trip would you?

I was in the Frankfurt / Bad Soden area in 2007 on a business trip, and got to set my new personal best land speed of 240 kph in an Audi A3 diesel 6 speed. Some time, I'll return with my wife and we'll rent a really fun car - a black Porsche ahead of me pulled away like I was standing still at 240 kph when we hit a long straightaway!

Hi WarmWaterDiver,

Yes, I guess that's me; I just sent you an email with I hope all the information you need.

When you come to Germany the next time, maybe in addition to driving fast on the Autobahn also try some ColdWaterDiving :)

Greetings from Hamburg, and Happy Easter

Andreas

I would advise the WarmWaterDiver to slow down a bit. Last year we had also someone on the island who was bragging that he had to set a new personal best depth record. I met him several times when we were diving with a student. The first time I met him he told proudly that he had been at 70 meters. We warned him that this is dangerous. The next week he told us that he had been at 93 meters. We once again warned him that this could cost him his life. One week later he met his goal at 103 meters and he met the end of his life. His buddy ended up in the decompression tank.
Setting personal records is fine as long as you only endanger your own life. Being on the autobahn means that there are undoubtely other drivers that don't expect a car with such a speed. If something goes wrong there is a big chance that someone else is hurt too.

Better practice safe d(r)iving.

Gustele,

Please check my Scubaboard profile - it should show information on my training and certification levels to alleviate your concerns regarding my dive profiles. I would like to know details of any profile you believe I have planned you have concers over - specifics on depths, gas mixes, run times, etc. please?

We trained for a trip to Bikini Atoll, but the two aircraft serving Bikini broke down and now there's no dive operation there any more. If you would like the name of our instructor as a reference, let me know. We did our tech certification dives with our instructor on Grand Cayman at Turtle Reef, as I have already corresponded with Andres about, so we did our training in similar conditions as we expect to use our training, rather than a cold deep low visibility quarry in Ohio. This philosophy of training in similar conditions one expects to use such training in is emphasized from basic open water training forward in the agencies I've trained under.

So, Andreas, I'll pass on your offer for cold water diving - Scapa Floe need not worry about a visit from me. But maybe we could go out together for a drive and a bite to eat some time when we next visit Germany.

I know when we were preparing for this training we discussed our training and plans with Christian and his brother during our first trip to Curacao in 2002.

I agree with Gustele... I have a 996tt and would never drive it in public at those speeds. I save it for the track where you can reduce the risk and increase the thrill.
Same with diving I take it slow and enjoy it... dive at my low level of experience so I can dive with confidence.

To each their own - clearly, I drove it safely at those speeds or I wouldn't be able to type on the computer keyboard here - and I've never purchasedd a vehicle with an engine with less than 8 cylinders ever since I finished college. There were certainly comperable Audis, Mercedes-Benz, and others driving that same speed along the highway to Fulda with me.

And same with diving - my training and certification levels are clearly posted in my profile here. All one has to do is put the mouse cursor over my username in my post, and click on 'view public profile', rather than assume.

My dive buddy is my wife, and anyone who honestly knows me knows neither one of us would put the other one in grave danger. Here's a bit of educational background info on that.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...other-adventures-dcs-pfo-migraine-aura-4.html

So, it's clear why I'm in the Dork Divers group, rather than their opposite.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do...umn-ask-us-your-questions-41.html#post4346721

We all make our own choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom