Andreas is leaving Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, apart from rude Ruud at OEW, we've had a good start to our week at All West Apartments. More details on that when we return, but just advice up front to bring printouts of all communications before you arrive and have them in hand when you sign your waivers.

CC, mesquite in the area I grew up in Texas and cooked with is a member of the acacia family, so this is almost like camping when I was younger except for all the amenities accomodations Sun Reef Village and All West Apartments have to offer. So it's not just grille dorado (the name we used in Texas and Mexico before someone decided to make it an 'exotic' menu offering by using the Hawaiian name), it was mesquite / acacia flavored grilled dorado.

The BBQ pits here at All West are very nice and very intelligently constructed. I grilled a half dozen beef kabobs with 5 to 6 pieces per kebab tonight, and have 6 honest Angus sirloin steaks I bought at Cost You Less in the fridge & freezer for more meals this week Cooking outdoors is one of my other favorite hobbies, and I'm sure we can get more fresh fish here at Playa Piskado this week to grill up. I found plenty off acacia cuttings that had already dried well laying under the acacia trees beside the road between St. Michael's Bay and Vaersenbaai yesterday when we dove Vaersenbaai so I icked up some nice ones and put in the baack of our pickup truck to take to All West while Angela was taking pictures of the flamingoes in the salina there I also bought a bag of some really nice all natural lump charcoal made in Venezuela at Esperamos (Centrum carries this as well, but Esperamos has a better price.

I guess I shoulod mention the spotted eagle ray and Hawksbill turtle se swam with on our dusk dive at Playa Piskado before supper tonight while I'm posting here. We had a great morning dive going from Playa Piskado to Playa Forti underwater and back today as well.

You'd melt if you and CheddarGuy ever came to visit us in Louisiana if 93 degrees F and 100% humidity disagree with you cc! ;>

I hope Suzy and Mark can join us for supper one evening this week, they have an open invitation while we're still on Curacao, but they'll have to drive to Westpunt this week instead of St. Michael's Bay last week.

Wim & Liesbeth at Sun Reef Village as well as Luis Lopez Ramirez here at All West are living personifications of 'someone it's an honest pleasure to do business with).

Last edited:
Do it!
It seems to me that Hamburg is about split between the North Sea and the Baltic. Have you dove in the North? How does it compare/contrast with the Baltic (my current "home waters")?
mike

Well, Mike, the German parts of the North Sea you can only dive by boat, as far as I know; there are offers to dive around Helgoland, but I never tried. No shore diving in that area because of the tide situation. But you might try diving the North Sea in Norway, which is gorgious!!!

The Baltic Sea is very nice too. And maybe this time I even found a way of posting some pictures here:

Pipefish

Login | Facebook

Goby:

Login | Facebook

Crabs:

Login | Facebook

Login | Facebook

Login | Facebook

Underwater landscapes:

Login | Facebook

Login | Facebook

Greetings from Hamburg (but...)
Andreas

Hi everybody,

I had a good time on Bali for the last 2 weeks. Diving was interesting for the large variety of critters you can find there, people very kind and friendly, landscapes stunning. But after all, I prefer my sunny little island in the Caribbean. So the flight is booked, and I am headed back to Curacao on July 29th. Hope to see you all there!

Greetings from Hamburg
Andreas

All right! So who on this board had 4 months less 2 days in the Andreas return pool? I said at the first sign of winter so was off by months! I'm hoping his sister gets me a fantastic dark bread recipe for his return! The Gazpacho and Sangria will be ready.

Hi Andreas

Glad to hear that you are coming back! Sometimes it is necessary to see other parts of the world to recognize that this little island has something special :).

Sunshine, I think we should start organizing a welcome dive!

Hi John,

Welcome diving sounds great! But let's do it really slow ;O) If I am able to move at all, after having some welcome pizza and mint brownies at Sol Food...

Greetings from Hamburg
Andreas

Glad to hear you are returning to the island! In addition to the hammerhead, perhaps the whale and manta will return as well. Wishing you safe travels.
j

Some will say 'we heard this before, and you came back anyway', but yes, the day before yesterday I left the sunny Caribbean, and went back to the snow in Germany. I had 3 great years on Curacao working for OEW and All West Apartments - thank you to all colleagues I met and worked with, and to all the (repeat) guests who made this time a wonderful experience! Curacao has a wonderful underwater world to explore for all scuba divers. Even after roughly 1,200 dives around the island I still got a small or big surprise every now and then :b) But don't forget that there are quite some sites to see on shore as well (and I won't claim I've seen them all, but Sunshine will be able to advise you)! Now it's time to move on and seek new adventures, but I will never forget this lovely Caribbean island and all the friends I made there!

Greetings from Cologne
Andreas

Andreas:

It was a pleasure to have met you.

It was a pleasure to have dove with you.

It was a pleasure to have spent time with you.

Our next trip will not quite be the same witout your enthusiasm.

Take care and all the best to you in your future endeavors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom