Ankle floats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overweighting yourself so that you have something to drop makes no sense, because a more likely failure is bcd failing, and then you suddenly will start sinking. You could then drop your extra lead, and be back to neutral, but what if you panic, can’t get your belt undone, or it gets caught on your rig? That whole time you’ll be descending. If you are weighted correctly, it will have little to no effect, because you’re neutral without even using the wing.

Again, I’m wondering if I’m missing something here? Can any other instructors chime in? Would you ever purposefully require a dive to be overweight just so they have lead to drop? This has to be more dangerous than helpful, right? @The Chairman

A few posters in the beginning of this thread have pointed you to look up balanced systems. Adding weight just to have ditchable weight makes no sense. You can adjust for having heavy legs with body postion, hold your arms out a little and arch your back. Sometimes cramps are caused by using muscles you are not used to using, if you really want to use your split fins give them more time. Sure you can adjust your BC to carry an extra 3lbs but then you have to keep adjusting more with depth changes. Or you can just use those kiddie arm bands around your ankles.

Ok, this will sound silly but one could conceivably make a pair of gaiters out of an old wetsuit. Cut legs of just below the knee and wear them on your calves over your normal wetsuit. 7mm should add buoyancy but that will decrease with depth though it might work.

Not an ideal solution but it would add some floatiness to your legs and wouldn't cause drag like some type of ankle float.

FWIW (after gear, trim, body position options etc have been exhausted) underwater photography Stix Floats can be used around the ankles if needed. Either the individuals on bungees (or a leg knife strap) or the curved collar style shown here. They're meant for use at depth so they won't crush.

By no means am I suggesting these as a first, second or even third option to correct the problem... the use simply occurred to me when seeing the question.

StiX Adjustable Buoyancy Float Belt 10 for Macro Ports

Results for "stix"

sx-fb10_3.jpg

First off, stop carrying weight that you don't need and go from there. Doesn't matter who says what. Carrying extra weight, only because you can now drop something, defeats the whole purpose of carrying the weight to begin with.

A couple of good suggestions have been made. One is something you make yourself and another something that may work but not for the ankles. I'm curious why something specific is not on the market for the ankles. Yes, one a can move weights around (to a point). Probably not the easiest solution if you wear 41 pounds. Yes, you can get buoyant fins (which would be nice the 2-3 times I managed to drop one that sank).
As stated, these ideas aren't something I'd do since my feet are only ever so slightly lower when horizontal.
No need to spend $ on new fins, plus I like the splits in preventing cramping.

Pool time today went ok.... started off in just a light rash guard. Threw all my fins in the pool. Grabbed fins from the shop and threw them in as well: results: power fins dropped like an anchor, the usdiver fins that the shop had been trying to give away about the same, atomic splits about 20 seconds later, phazers stayed on the surface, hot shots sank quickly, storms floated, and pulse floated.

Jumped in with no weights but brought a 1.5 down to the bottom.
5mil boots on
No fins: still going vertical but not as fast
Split fins, vertical tilt again
For both of those I dropped the 1.5 down my top... that helped a good bit.
Tried the pulse. Seemed the best with not using a counter weight.
Dumped all the air from my tank again. Got down to about 300... checked my level at the surface with the pulse fins on. Still negative. About 4 inches under.
Added the 3mil wetsuit with the pulse fins. Super super close to being at eye level. Honestly just a 1/2inch under...

I would like to try the other fins that were positively buoyant but none in my size...

As for the ditchable weight. I love that you guys are so supportive. I may just throw that 1.5 in my top! It worked pretty well. But today I did not dive with those 3lbs. I ran out of time with everything else but plan to go back and see. I’m pretty sure that while the fin change is obviously going to help.... how much will be determined by what this 3lbs do once I put them back in my pockets.

Again, I’m wondering if I’m missing something here? Can any other instructors chime in? Would you ever purposefully require a dive to be overweight just so they have lead to drop? This has to be more dangerous than helpful, right? @The Chairman
Carry only the weight you will need to be neutral. If I'm carrying 5 extra pounds of weight, At 99 ft, I'll have to have 138.4 cubic inches of air in my BC to be neutral... that that's air that four times as dense as air on the surface. If I don't vent on the way up that buoyancy will expand to give me almost 370 cubic inches or 14 pounds of lift at my 15ft safety stop and a whopping 554 cubic inches or 20 pounds at the surface. Talk about complicating your dive. Get rid of as much weight as you can and still keep a safety stop and watch your SAC improve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom