Ankle floats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rjack321 you are more than welcome to come to the lake this weekend and watch me sink. Or anytime you are in KC I will meet you at the pool. In my 7mm semi dry I use 8lbs total.

Not saying its not true, just surprising.

My body attitude and posture aren’t really the issue. I am a short, muscular, compact woman. Built more like a 12 year old boy. I don’t have hips, I don’t have bum, I don’t have much up top.

Can you float on your back in the pool in swimsuit? It's a learned skill but unless you're a pro muay thai fighter with shin bones 5 times denser than those of a human, you should be able to do it.

And then it just turned in to a conversation about the 3lbs I’ve been told to carry. And it really seems like I am in a catch 22.
In the rogue my weight pockets sit on my bum. The back piece on the small is short, the trim pockets are not much higher up. With the weights in, I am of course more back end heavy. I can hold them to my upper chest and hover perfectly. (This works with 1.5lbs as well)
The debate became due to me not actually requiring those 3lbs......
With your lightweight first stage reg, @The Chairman may be spot on about shifting the tank down, an AL80, may actually be better in this case.

Additionally, may I suggest that you ask if something like this would be acceptabe as ditchable weight if "they" insist on requiring you to use weights (that you don't need). Then clip it off to the daisy chains on the shoulder straps with some bungee loops to prevent flopping.
SeaSoft Clip on Seabags for Weight Belts, BCs/BCD, Tanks etc.
wbelt37.jpg

- or -
2lb Drop Weight w/ Brass Clip
2lb-Drop-Weight-w-Brass-Swivel-Clip-Yellow-Outer-Coating-Color15055-11736_th.JPG

You could also easily attach small block weights with loops of large O-rings closed with wire ties. Ditching means just ripping them off and it only costs a few cents in orings and wire ties.

See if anyone has a
I’m not opposed to a backplate and harness but don’t have in person access to anyone that would be able to steer me in the right direction.
Zeagle Express Tech, with the basic harness (webbing only). It's a hybrid between a BC and a BP&Wing. I love mine, with or without the bladder attached.

You could also easily attach small block weights with loops of large O-rings closed with wire ties. Ditching means just ripping them off and it only costs a few cents in orings and wire ties.
Or just tie a prussik loop with some bungee. My Hollis SMS 100, dual bladder left my legs dangling, so I put a 2 pound weight on each shoulder strap. Here's how...

full?d=1358002838.jpg

Thread the prussik loop through the first slot...

full?d=1358002838.jpg

Pass it under the strap and through the other slot.

full?d=1442787599.jpg

Strech the side without the knot over first.

full?d=1358002837.jpg

It gets tight, so leaving the knot till last gives your fingers something to hold onto.

For what it's worth... these are easily ditchable. :D :D :D

You can’t tell me to use my trim pockets when you are telling me to dive with the proper weight of zero. Unless you are saying I should put floats in there???
Cart before the horse. Bear with me a bit. Let's assume that you are going to keep the Rogue and learn to deal with it.

OK, we start here.
@ lowviz. Instead of just saying I’m diving in the wrong gear.,, how about give some real suggestions. ...//...

Btw, I never said weight that gets me properly weighted.... I said the 3lbs they make me dive with ...//...

I have acknowledged even in my original post that I do not need the 3lbs but that I am told I have to dive with it in order to have ditchable weight. I am a newer diver. Absolutely. Did I tell you I’ve already switched shops?
You asked for some real suggestions. OK. But these suggestions will be coming from a non-professional highly experimental diver. But safe. I'm the guy who isn't going to die underwater. I am not and never will be an instructor, but I would like to help get you out of the woods and back on the path...

My instructor asked me to brainstorm ideas on getting my weights moved or ankle floats. But does insist that I have ditchable weight.
OK, I'm totally with him as far as having a proper amount of ditchable weight, but not so much with him as to off-loading the task of getting your buoyancy right.

You paid for getting your buoyancy dialed in, no? In the same breath, times are tough and we all have to put food on the table. SHOCKING EXPOSE: Most scuba equipment manufacturers cater to the bell curve of body types. You appear to be an outlier and your instructor is having a problem with that.

Continuing the thought. If yours was the standard body type then you could just pull some kit off the rack and dive it as all the major manufacturers would play to that standard. I hesitated to post in this thread as it massively limits me as to my suggestions.

This is 'Basic Scuba Discussions' and you aren't supposed to get any weird advice here. By carefully reading your posts and timing, it is obvious that you REALLY want this to work for you. Kudos. You have a lot of resources on this board. Let's retreat to the basics and review three body types: THE 3 SOMATOTYPES Give me a bit of time to think about this...

Lotta talk about weights & weighting. My 42 pounds (7 mil farmer john wetsuit) are as far North as possible without attaching some to the tank. Feet are still a tiny bit negative--probably due to my negative fins. That's why I have concentrated on the floats question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom