Anna Maria Island spearfisherman missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know the people that were on the boat that found his gear. From what I understand he was out spearfishing on a private boat. He went down and never came back up. At last I heard he still had not been found. They found all of his gear including the gun. It was down right on the wreck he was diving. They still weren't sure if he managed to get deep inside the wreck or if the current carried him away. They said the current wasn't that strong though. Thats all the info I have. I feel for his family though.

I know the people that were on the boat that found his gear. From what I understand he was out spearfishing on a private boat. He went down and never came back up. At last I heard he still had not been found. They found all of his gear including the gun. It was down right on the wreck he was diving. They still weren't sure if he managed to get deep inside the wreck or if the current carried him away. They said the current wasn't that strong though. Thats all the info I have. I feel for his family though.

All of his gear and his gun were on the wreck?

See post 11 on this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...sland-spearfisherman-missing.html#post4533621

Coast Guard calls off search for Fla. diver - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com

Coast Guard calls off search for Fla. diver
The Associated Press

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Coast Guard has ended its search for a diver who went missing in the waters off Anna Maria Island.

The search was called off Saturday afternoon after other divers located the submerged body of 31-year-old Darren Rordam.

On Friday morning, Coast Guard officials in St. Petersburg were told that Rordam, of Tampa, had not surfaced from a dive.

Crews had used a helicopter, a 41-foot utility boat and 87-foot patrol boat to search for Rordam.

This type of tragedy seems to happen more often to spearos than other divers probably because most spearos don't buddy/team dive but hunt solo instead. I would be interested in knowing how he became seperated from his gear. Condolences to his family!

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
All of his gear and his gun were on the wreck?

See post 11 on this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...sland-spearfisherman-missing.html#post4533621

Thats the way I understand it to have happened. It was speculated that he possibly removed his gear to get into the wreck to chase a fish in a tight spot or that he might have freaked out for some reason and tried to ditch his gear. Both of these are just theories and are not based on anything other than finding his gear seperate from his body. The truth will eventually come out so I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to start some kind of rumor or bad mouth the diver. I am only telling the stories I have been told. I feel for his family and wish them peace in this time.

Hard to believe even if he did go in after a fish that A. his body was not stuck inside. B. he got far enough away from his air to drown..... wounder how much air was in his tank. One report noted that the :eek:ther divers returned to the surface when they were almost out of air" I would rather think he was way to heavy as alot of spearos like to do and ran out of air panicked and dropped everything rather than just pulling the wieghts

Regaurdless it is yet another Diver for what ever reason never returned. It is very sad, and most likely could of been prevented in many ways. I really prey that people that like to push the limits or that don't have allot of experiance are paying attention and do anything they can to prevent more reports such as this. There has been more than enough this year.

Wonder what "diving gear" they found?
What spear fishing gear floats?

We attempted to leave out of Clearwater Beach on 7/3/2009 at 8:00am but the seas were too rough, maybe 3-4 ft at the last marker in the channel so we turned back.

Hard to say what gear floats, some of the newer light weight spear guns are made of plastic and slightly positivly bouyant as to float if they get loose.

While no details have been released as to what might have happened the first thing that comes to my mind is , as with most spearfishers, he was likely alone hunting and ran OOA. Without any details to support this, its just a guess.

If anyone hears more details please post them.

Back
Top Bottom