Anonymous Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Why didn't you mention you were moving to Oregon last night... we could have skipped that last dive.

:hiding:
Pug, Shhh!!! I didn't move to Oregon until I read Marcus' post! This firewall business has me freaked out. I'm going to hide in Crater Lake until the coast is clear.
:hiding:

Another good reason to post info on yourself is when you are a guy with the screen name of "snuggle" LOL.

Phish-phood once bubbled...
Sorry guys,

I have had bad experiences with revealing information on the internet so that is why I don't do it any more.

Abusive and insulting e-mails and IM's are not my idea of a fun time on the internet. I come here to learn from people's experience's and to maybe help with some of my own.
More than happy to tell people more about myself through PM's or private e-mails if they have questions but I wouldn't just barrel in and announce to everyone everything about myself. It isn't that I don't trust people who post, experience tells me these are the ones to trust, but there are too many lurkers and trolls who are just waiting for an opportunity to cause trouble and I for one am not giving it to them again.

I post my name, phone number and address all the time, and -dare- people to come and get me.

If anyone sends me an abusive e-mail, I retaliate, and escalate.

That aside, I can see why some would wish to remain anonymous, but they should understand that it takes longer for them to build credibility. In another group I frequent, I've interacted with anonymous individuals for half a decade, to the point of diving with them while they maintained there anonymity.

A few posts from an individual, especially confrontational, really lead to questions of motive and intent. Several hundred exchanges, tho, and the screen name becomes it's own persona.

Just because someone uses a name, and posts a picture, doesn't mean it's them anyway. And someone who's "been diving for ten years", may not mention that it's 5-10 times a year.

I've learned a great deal of diving from the internet, but anything you glean from this venue should be closely and carefully considered at any rate.

I once (semi-recently) gave a lengthy drysuit lecture to an entire dive club (I was visiting, and their speaker never showed) of experienced vacation divers once, and answered questions for an hour, having never been diving in one.

Ya get what ya pay for...

Ha ha ha!!! This was a fun read. Popeye, are these anonymous dive buddies in disguise, in the witness protection program, what???

Anyway, I guess I lack sophistication in this area. It hadn't previously occurred to me to check profiles, but you can believe I clicked on a bunch of them as I read through all this! Then I went back to see what info I'd given a couple months ago when I first signed in, and I felt satisfied that I'd parted with info I was comfortable with sharing. Guess I'll upload one of my "self-portraits" to share with you all.

Overall, I think I agreed most with Mr. Devil's Advocate - lots of good points there. And hey, if you want to know more, I agree that's what PM's are for.

Aloha, I'm off to Fiji tomorrow!!

ScubaSista once bubbled...

Overall, I think I agreed most with Mr. Devil's Advocate - lots of good points there. And hey, if you want to know more, I agree that's what PM's are for.

Does this mean I have to change my screenname?

:goofy:

Interesting how a lot of the "devils adovcates" did have a little info posted on their profiles.

As as far as photo's, I doubt anyone from this board would spot me walking down the street based on the photo posted here.

guilt, I managed to find my profile...and turns out I had it mostly filled out anyhow. I did toss in a photo for the first time...now, to keep things orderly, I'll be accepting emails from women A~K this week, L~R the following week, and S~Z the week after that. Oops..look at the time...seems I've missed my medication again.

WHAT?

You don't walk down the street in your wetsuit, bc, cylinder, mask, snorkle, etc?? *tilt*

-Dennis

AliKat once bubbled...
Interesting how a lot of the "devils adovcates" did have a little info posted on their profiles.

As as far as photo's, I doubt anyone from this board would spot me walking down the street based on the photo posted here.

GQMedic once bubbled...
WHAT?

You don't walk down the street in your wetsuit, bc, cylinder, mask, snorkle, etc?? *tilt*

-Dennis

You should ask Popeye that question....He is on a diet...

Popeye, BTW its good to see that you are posting here again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom