Another BP/W question (education needed)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to the many of you who have given input on this - From this point on a lot of the questions I have will leave the DIR thread - so I don't want to clutter things up here - I'm starting to pity the poor instructor I lay all this on (DIR or not - they will have their hands full with a diversified bunch like us) I'll be sure to give them a lot of advanced notice.

However much DIR I incorporate into my future - I appreciate all your very well thought out comments.

Mahalo (thanks) again

Just wanted to say thanks for the ideas and questions you all raised - it looks like I found an instructor - NAUI, 20 years as an instructor, currently a frequent technical diver. He prefers his students learn in the fashion they plan to dive later - While he will teach all students several methods for things like OOA he wants them to focus on the one that is most comfortable for them and their gear configuration. He is not bothered by our "little" groups diversity,(though we are now 2 groups) and is scheduling us for 6 days of classes (most instructors in my area only have 3). Anyway - just wanted to share my little "success" with those who contributed to the beginning of my education. (Our class is scheduled for September - just gotta wait 2 more months . . .)

Now I've just got to find a 5' hose . . . the LDS guy just scratched his head about the 22" so I didn't even bother asking about the long one - time for mail order again I guess (had to check with four shops before I found any kind of hose actually)

hi Kidspot, can I ask you where you found the DIR fundamentals book at?

I appreciate the idea about asking the instructors their views first - I've been contacting different instructors because we will have a group with a very wide range of skills - 2 teens that are 14, and one adult who used to be a salvage diver (he wants to re-certify with us) and then myself and a couple others. Most operations here are geared toward certifying tourists, which is one reason for putting together a group - plus these will be the guys I'll probably be diving with in the future.

As far as I've been able to determine there are no diveshops on the island that are dealers for Halcyon, DiveRite or OMS (after searching for dealerships/authorized outlets etc..) which means mail order for most gear. (by the way what online sources are there for halcyon and oms? - I found diveriteexpress.com) leisurepro and others don't seem to carry them.

At this point I'm looking at the diverite venture wings (30lb lift) and seeing how abysmal.com has ss backplates for $60 I picked one up and can always get an al in the future if it's too much weight. - I also ordered the DIR fundamentals book - looking forward to reading it.

Wow, time flys...

Holy Smokes! Almost 4 years old.
:monkeydan

Hmm, I'm no expert but I'm not sure you "can" wear a BP/W during a PADI OW class. There are certain skills that would be made exponentially more difficult by not wearing a BCD. One of the PADI skills is that you have to remove your BCD at the surface (both pool and OW). It would be way more difficult to remove a BP/W with the crotch strap and all. In fact, even though all the instructors/DMs at my shop use BP/Ws regularly, they have to use BCDs in class so they can demonstrate that skill.

As far as I know, most dive shops provide free gear for class...so if I were you I would just wear the BCD for class. If you decide you really like scuba diving after the class..then go invest in the system you think is best for you. Some people don't even like scuba diving once they take the class. A BP/W is a big investment to make before you have even tried diving.

Just my .02 psi

...There are certain skills that would be made exponentially more difficult by not wearing a BCD. One of the PADI skills is that you have to remove your BCD at the surface (both pool and OW). It would be way more difficult to remove a BP/W with the crotch strap and all. In fact, even though all the instructors/DMs at my shop use BP/Ws regularly, they have to use BCDs in class so they can demonstrate that skill...

I wonder if maybe your instructors were using a BCD to demonstrate because most of the students were wearing a BCD? Removing a BP/W at the surface is very easy. A lady I dive with does it on every dive (she can't climb up the boat ladder with her gear on) and can remove hers in 5-10 seconds tops.

Hmm, I'm no expert but I'm not sure you "can" wear a BP/W during a PADI OW class. There are certain skills that would be made exponentially more difficult by not wearing a BCD. One of the PADI skills is that you have to remove your BCD at the surface (both pool and OW). It would be way more difficult to remove a BP/W with the crotch strap and all. In fact, even though all the instructors/DMs at my shop use BP/Ws regularly, they have to use BCDs in class so they can demonstrate that skill.

As far as I know, most dive shops provide free gear for class...so if I were you I would just wear the BCD for class. If you decide you really like scuba diving after the class..then go invest in the system you think is best for you. Some people don't even like scuba diving once they take the class. A BP/W is a big investment to make before you have even tried diving.

Just my .02 psi

I took PADI open water in a BP/W and had no problems. I have taken every PADI class between OW and Instructor (AOW, Rescue, DM, AI and many specialties) in a BP/W. At VA Scuba, we have a number of students using BP/W in open water classes and this year we plan to have an instructor or DM in a BP/W in each class along with an instructor or DM in a more traditional BCD. This way skills can be demonstratted in both systems. We have BP/Ws in rental and will offer those (in place of a traditional BCD) for students who request them. BCD removal/replacement is not exponentially more difficult in a correctly fitted BP/W than in a regular BCD - it is just a little different.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom