Another diver death in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 85 year old Dad agrees with your Mamma, Rick!!

OK, since I've dove Grand Cayman, Brac, and the East End a a number of times, this is as good a spot as any for my first post.

I tend to agree with Rick about the "divers over 50" thing, and with his mom about getting old. :wink: However, while Cayman diving is spectacular, it can also be challenging at times, depending on time of year and where you go. You can very easily tax your cardiovascular system, and if it's lacking...we're at the age, fellas. Get fit, and stay fit.

The article reminds me of a quote from my college statistics textbook a 100 years ago: "All Indians march single file. At least the one saw did."

Seven died whilst snorkeling, and only three whilst diving? Is that ratio normal for places that have both snorkelers and divers? Yes, I know there are more snorkelers than divers, but, still, it seems very high to me. I would like to know how these seven people died. I was a snorkeler for years before I started diving, and it's hard to imagine a more safer or gentler water activity.

On the age issue...at 57 I KNOW my condition and ability to perform better than the 20 something year old dive guide who thinks he/she knows whats best for me...I learned long ago to dive within my limits and ability...Do you want my business or should I go elsewhere ?

<< Seven died whilst snorkeling, and only three whilst diving? Is that ratio normal for places that have both snorkelers and divers? >>

I don't know about other places, but that seems in keeping with the ratio in previous years here. Most of the deaths are heart attacks brought on from over-exertion. We also get tourist deaths from other activities here, such as tennis & golf, but you never see a headline reading "TOURIST DIES DURING ROUND OF GOLF!!!"

Well, darn that would just suck.
I like diving in Cayman and I turn 50 this year. Of course at 5'4"/120lbs and running 30 miles a week I think I'm in "ok" shape. But rules are rules and if someone in the Cayman's wanted to make a dive limit based on age I would have to go elsewhere. hmmmmm time to hit the Pacific.

As stated by some.... age doesn't have as much to do with it as fitness and common sense. IMO

I'm really not sure where the speculation of age based diving restrictions came from. I have never heard such talk on the island.

The purpose of threads in this forum is to try to glean information from accidents and incidents that might be used to prevent future incidents.

In this case, the report would seem to imply that the diver became seperated from his group, whether accidentally or intentionally. (Why else would a boat be called out to conduct a search? If the diver was still with his buddy, would that buddy not have taken steps to assist the diver back to shore?)

We are all taught that a basic rule of diving is to plan your dive, and then dive your plan. And as a standard practice, that plan must include a buddy,

Then I read threads in which even dive professionals complain about being required to dive with a buddy. Divers who ostensibly should be teaching good diving practices state plainly that they would rather dive solo than with an "insta-buddy".

Drew Sailbum:
I'm really not sure where the speculation of age based diving restrictions came from. I have never heard such talk on the island.

Ah, the joys of Internet communication. Someone upthread jokingly (at least that's how I read it) posts "I can see an emerging agenda in the write-up... new restrictions for divers over 50" and a dozen posts later people are believing that there is some active effort to impose age restrictions on Cayman diving and indicating that they'll take their business elsewhere.

I have a suggestion for those who are tempted to believe everything they read on the 'Net. If it seems hard to believe, its probably because its not true.

Ah yes. Nothing like message boards to turn joking speculation into rumor. Too bad you spoke up. That might have given this thread some legs.

Now really... lets look at the stats and try to understand it a little more...

As they were saying, the avg age is now over 50... well, that seems about right due to the fact that baby boomers are now coming of that age. They are the ones who saved all their money and are ready to spend it before they die. Unlike the younger generation who don't save a dime and who are not looking to the future at all wont have any money when they get to be 50 y/o.

So, the truth is, the tour operators should be LOVING this age of their clients, cus they have the money. And it wont last long before the next generation comes into play with nothing but rocks in their pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom