Another new diver with a bloody nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elky66

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I just finished my O.W. diving course today. We did 4 dives in two days. After my first dive my nose was bleeding slightly. Same for my second dive of the day. Never did I have any discomfort.

Next day. I get pain on descent from my left eyebrow area. It goes away after about 5 min. On ascend I feel pressure in the same area, until about 15 feet I get blood in my mask. Not much just colored water. Then I felt fine. On my final dive I get no discomfort at all, had an awsome dive. But I did get a slight bloody nose at the surface.
I'm sure it probably bleed easier on day 2 due to the fact that it bled on day 1. I've read all the post on the subject and feel ok about my situation. Just looking for a little reassurance as I love diving so far and would like to do it without worrying.
I have no problem equalizing, although I'm unable to do it with pinching my nose. I swallow and it works everytime. Only hard part is that its not always easy swallow with a dry mouth. hehe
Thanks

Hello, I just finished my O.W. diving course today. We did 4 dives in two days. After my first dive my nose was bleeding slightly. Same for my second dive of the day. Never did I have any discomfort.

Next day. I get pain on descent from my left eyebrow area. It goes away after about 5 min. On ascend I feel pressure in the same area, until about 15 feet I get blood in my mask. Not much just colored water. Then I felt fine. On my final dive I get no discomfort at all, had an awsome dive. But I did get a slight bloody nose at the surface.
I'm sure it probably bleed easier on day 2 due to the fact that it bled on day 1. I've read all the post on the subject and feel ok about my situation. Just looking for a little reassurance as I love diving so far and would like to do it without worrying.
I have no problem equalizing, although I'm unable to do it with pinching my nose. I swallow and it works everytime. Only hard part is that its not always easy swallow with a dry mouth. hehe
Thanks
I too am a newbie..........on my first 4 dives i also had a mild bloody nose..........I believe on my 5th i did as well....after that nothing.......

Hello, I just finished my O.W. diving course today. After my first dive my nose was bleeding slightly. Only hard part is that its not always easy swallow with a dry mouth. hehe
Thanks

As you learn to "clear" your ears more easily and gently, this will likely stop.

Congrats- you're a diver now! (The bloody nose confirms it)

BTW- Dy Mouth? You're seeing a later symptom of dehydration. Drink more water.

Bleeding from the nose, in my experience, is a fairly common problem. However, if there is a lot of blood or if the bleeding doesn't stop, then you need to seek medical advice.

Some possible causes include: pinching the nose too hard when equalising or/and blowing out through the nose too hard.

Cold water can also cause or aggrevate bleeding in the nose for some.

Also, does the mask fit your face properly? A mask that pushes against the bottom of the nose can exert pressure.

Equalize your mask and your ears.
A touch of air blown into your mask while descending will help a great deal.

thanks for all the great responses.

My mask fits great, I had help selecting it. I equalize it very often, I don't like the mask squeze feeling and its so easy to do.

I don't equalize by squezing my nose, i do it by swallowing. Maybe thats some of my problem. I think the problem is a reverse squeeze. I've only felt discomfort once but at that time, I could feel the pressure at about 15 feet (on ascent), then at 10 my nose bled a little and the pressure releases. The other 3 times the bleeding was as we were walking back to the staging area.

Note: the nose bleeds are all very slight. The stop by the time I'm even dry.

When you first start diving, it is not uncommon to have some bloody nasal discharges. You have a lot of veins very close to the surface in your nasal passages. Some of these will bleed a tiny bit. It will eventually go away. Be sure (to anyone) to let your instructor know what is going on.

The problem the next day may have been a slight reverse block. It is important to keep everything equalized...do it early and do it often!!!

Good luck!

Only hard part is that its not always easy swallow with a dry mouth. hehe
Thanks

If you are comfortable removing your regulator (you probably should be since you have done your check outs) remove it and swish a little water in your mouth and re-insert your regulator and blow the water and air through your regulator to purge it and that should help with the dry mouth. Scuba air is very dry, I do the same thing every now and then, especially if I am doing a long swim or something.

My bud used to come back to the boat with bloody snot in his mask then smear across his bald forehead. :eek: ~ A Must-See Video For New Divers: Equalizing! ~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom