Ansell Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanmacneil8448

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi everybody i want to dive ansell point but need some details if anybody wants to show me im flexible as far as what days to go

Once you go down the steps, and down the path to the water. On entry you want to go to your right along the wall. You'll see octos any where on the wall there, the most I've found is 5 and the least was 1.

At 70 feet, as you travel along will be a silt/sand bottom with a large boulder about 20 feet from the wall. Under that boulder, most times is an old wolf eel. If he is not around, then search the surronding wall in the cracks he's usually within 40 feet or so, there are 2 other sub dens he hangs out in. He won't come out usually unless you bring some food. Usually a chunk of salmon and just keep it in a plastic baggie in your pocket. This sometimes works for the octos as well.

Or if you have wet gloves, take one off and put it near the the hole he should start coming out because they sense the heat. Don't let him pull you in, just slowly pull away and if he wants too he'll come out and sit on your hand. If you get worried purge your reg under your hand they let go, or if he is all the way out. Just swim away and he'll let go and go back to his den. They don't like leaving it durring the day.

I've done this method 6 times, its worked 4 times to get an octo out. The 2 other times I just ended up with really cold hands, if you dive solo don't ever try this. And yes this isn't the safest idea. And yes it will leave terrible hickies.

Ansell is a sloping bottom the goes down maybe 300 feet or more. The wall ends in about 70-80 feet deep, after that its a 30 degree sloping bottom.

All along the wall at the 40 foot mark is a shelf and a reef, check this area for small octos, and lots of hardly seen creatures in the sea weed. Move it slowly and you'll find lots of neat sea creatures, great area for macro shots, the best in the Vancouver area I recon. The 40-90 foot range is just cod and looking for octos.

So yeah Saturdays don't always work for me, but Sunday's are good. Let me know when you would prefer and I'll try to free my self for two dives. Last time I went my camera was all messed up and I didn't get any shots of the eel. And I have allot of cod and salmon in my freezer for feeding time.

You can usually play with the eel for a good 10 minutes and then move up to the 40 foot mark and look around there, and get a good 56 minute dive in. (Mileage may vary)

i work saturdays so sundays are best for me too. i would love to see the wolf eels or get the octo out. i have been trying to get the octo out at porteau but it seems to be pretty shy im not sure if i want to stick my hand in there but if you want to i'd be glad to watch and take pics :D but yeah sundays are best for me too so lets do it.

well hey lets get er done maybe we could make a group dive out of it?
so far we have justin and jeremy plus me. anybody else?

If we are going for the octo or eel, why not do a nice night dive or twilight dive?

The HID should be nice & finding things underwater, and I can supplement your strobe :D

The hike back up I wouldnt really enjoy making in the dark. Kelvin Grove though I'd do on a night, it usually has 3 or 4 octo's about. And I think Ryan lives right there.

(Ansell)
I wouldnt mind this Sunday, but I'm still unsure if my wife will let me out to play.
2005-08-28 (Sunday)
Time Height
PDT (m) (ft)
07:35 1.3 4.3
16:06 4.2 13.8
21:07 3.7 12.1

Hmm that twilight dive may be the thing though with these tides. Dive at 4pm and dive at like 6pm. That could be fun.

i dont live at kelvin grove but my DM divebuddy does if i can get ahold of him we could dive there but hes hard to get ahold of

hey if we're going to go maybe we should swap phone numbers and work out some details my buddy went to kelowna for the weekend so its just me do we need a parking pass for ansell point?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom