any advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adequate...

If you are only doing night dives occasionally. You should get a small back up light, as well. The "back up" feature of the light you are interested in will be of little use if the light floods.

Diving at night is like driving at night: much more enjoyable with a bright light.

Consider doing some research on the use of lights for communication between divers when diving during daylight hours. We do that on all dives here in the Northwest, it is a nice way to communicate. In a passive way, you can tell where your buddy is just by seeing his light. A bright light is a really effective way to get your buddy's attention during an emergency.

Rechargeable units will save you money if you are going to use it often. If you are only going to use it 2-3 times a year, get a light with disposable batteries. I use my light every week, so it was easy to justify something rechargeable and bright.

The light output of the Sunlight C4 is on the bottom side of what you want, but it will work.

You state that you are not crazy about doing a nightdive. If you think this is the only nightdive you'll do, you may want to consider buying the Princeton Tec Surge instead. It has a slightly higher light output and is more compact so you can use it as a daytime light also.

JeffAustin is right: you must have a backup light, so that you can safely ascend if your main light fails. The UK mini dive light is a good and inexpensive choice and it is so small that you can easily store it anywhere.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I agree the mini Q40 makes a good backup light for normal diving or for use as a daylight. It's kind of like the small portable binoculars that are around, they are not great compared to quality binoculars, but they are very portable and you will consequently have them with you in situations where you would otherwise have nothing.

The minimum for a proper backup light if you are doing a lot of night diving, wreck penetration etc, would be something along the lines of a UK 300 or Pelican Saber light. They are relatively low profile, simple, durable, offer adequate burn time and are relatively streamlined and snag free (if you remove the clip) and offer a very intense spot that works well for a backup or for a day light. The narrow spot also works well in muddy water where the floating particles can otherwise create a blizzard effect due to the back scatter and reduce visibility.

An Ikelite mini-C lite can also work for light duty night diving and is an excellent all round light. It has a wide beam that is adequately bright as well as a narrow hot spot that works well during the day. It is also well made, durable and well thought out.

Thank you guys,
I took your advice and I read the previous posts and I am thinking to buy Nemo C8 http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=972&parentCategory=965&sort=prsdesc
What you think about it?
I already have UK Mini Q40 because I use it during the day dive and I will use it as a back up.
As I mentioned, I am going to dive for the first time at night in two weeks. I will let you know if I like it or not.
Thanks!

Washwow88,

The Nemo C8 (and UK's C8) are decent primary lights for general night diving. The C8 sized lights are the most commonly used. They provide adequate illumination without being too cumbersome.

The price that LP is offering them for is incredible.

In addition to a backup light, get a light stick as well.

Dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom