Any Herpers Here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover, no snakes on your islands, but geckos are cool! We have native geckos here and I have some "yard guests" that are not native (iguanas), yet.

Craig

I'm not a herpetologist, but I adore snakes. A dear friend in college had a stunning indigo snake which I used to snuggle with. We have very few snakes in Western Washington -- I think it's too cold for them -- but I occasionally find a pretty garter snake down by the barn.

I have inherited a leopard gecko, frim my wonderful boys who begged and begged for the thing. It sheds every freakin' time I feed it the squirmy meal worms.

YUCK!!!!!

At least with bearded dragons (my brother had those when I was growing up)it was fun to watch them hunt down the crickets! :rofl3::rofl3:

Not too bad. With my son's western indigo snake, I had to slam mice against the wall to stun them before I hand fed them to Tucker (the snake). When he got bigger, I had to do the same thing with rats, as his appetite got to the point of my having to feed him three mice or one rat.

I'm not a herpetologist, but I adore snakes. A dear friend in college had a stunning indigo snake which I used to snuggle with. We have very few snakes in Western Washington -- I think it's too cold for them -- but I occasionally find a pretty garter snake down by the barn.

Yes, the indigos love to snuggle. Tucker used to wrap himself around me and either put his head in my shirt, in my pocket, or under my armpit to keep warm. Indigos are very loving, if you can call a snake that.....lol. It may have been a way for them to keep warm, but it's still snuggling

Love the Emerald Boa though I never had one as they were too aggressive or shall I say not cuddly enough for me.

I have had the following though:
Columbian Red Tail Boa - Barabara - she reached 13ft and passed after 11 year :sad:
Several Poisonous Blue Dart Frogs
Red Eye Tree Frogs
Iguanas that grew to monster sizes
Two Veiled Chameleons - Fred and Wilma - Gosh I miss Fred
Rose Hair Tarantula

and I think that was about it. I found diving and as the animals passed I didn't replace them with others. Now I have dogs :shakehead::11doh:

BTW, any pics of your frogs?

redrover, no snakes on your islands, but geckos are cool! We have native geckos here and I have some "yard guests" that are not native (iguanas), yet.

Craig
I’m getting a bit attached to little Coaster (Mourning Gecko) on my nightstand. Still think pooping on my pillow is rude no matter how many gnats he’s eliminating (pun intended) for my reading myself to sleep pleasure. Lost his tail with a visitor encounter. A Blackburn’s Sphinx or Hawk Moth rattled around for two nights up high in my bedroom then came down to Coaster's coaster Wednesday morning. I thought the size and noise of it was frightening…. I didn’t know it was endangered then so good thing it was way beyond fly swatter weaponry. (At a terrorized arms length away, I gently captured it off the pillow and took it back outside.)
Almost stepped on Mourning Gecko Bitsy Little Guy yesterday. Looked like some detritus I brought in on a shoe, until it ran under the other foot.

Gold Dust Day Gecko Kitchen is humongous and has either driven away or eaten three others that I know of, apparently it is his kitchen. He is real good about calling my attention to over ripe fruit but it’s like having a cat under foot all the time. Has got me to stop jumping a mile high when a gecko lands on me. (However the result being, 3 weeks ago I got bit by a centipede for the first time.) Picture is keeping an eye on me now as I type. Haven’t seen Bar for 2 days, hope Kitchen hasn’t got him. Might be who’s been hanging out at Aquarium’s.

A Jackson’s Chameleon came in but I took him back to the yard where he’d be happier. Skinks and Green Anole Lizards stick to the yard, as do (thankfully) the Giant Toads and Wrinkled Frogs. (Amazing there are frogs without any ponds or streams here. Got a lot of frogs for where people usually complain how dry it is.)

We do have snakes, got Island Blind Snakes all over the yard, are about earthworm size and can move like the wind. And the Yellow-bellied Sea Snake, venomous but not aggressive, haven’t seen one of those, yet.:blinking:

Can we get herpers just by touching door handles or on toilet seats?
No....it's holding snakes......kissing frogs.......touching turtles....that sort of thing.

You should be safe in your ablutions! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom