Any other musicians here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoCrowes255

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My other passion in life besides diving is music. If I'm not diving or reading about diving I am playing my guitar.

A little musical background:

From the moment I was born I was bombarded by Jimmy Buffet and The Temptations (and that was pretty much all I listened to in my childhood.) Ever since I was three I wanted a guitar and I always had little cheap toy ones. When I was in seventh grade I heard Cream and I KNEW I had to have a guitar. I pretty much taught myself to play listening to Cream, Hendrix and The Stones. About my sophmore year I discovered the Beatles and Led Zeppelin and it was all over. I played guitar everyday for a few hours straight and also picked up the bass and drums in that time period. I'm 19 now and still play constantly and never plan to quit.

Any other musicians here? Care to share your experiences?

I will be happy to send soundfiles to anyone who PMs me.

Me:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

I figured since those are such horrid pictures of me I should post at least one decent one to show I am not a TRUE ogre

Image 5

In a universe long ago I was a college music major. I majored on instrumental and played cello in particular. I also played in bands playing the hootenanny circuit on both upright bass and guitar.

The Viet Nam confrontation made a Navy man out of me and ten years later I was an experienced electronic techician. I still enjoy music and my tastes run from classics to Buffet. Bluegrass to Shania. Music continues to fill my head and without it life can be quite empty.

Since I found diving, my music playing has all but ceased but I can always go back to it.

Thats too bad. I was thinking about majoring in music but I only knew enough theory to barely get by and I don't want my passion to be so regimented that it ruins it for me.

I was really into the music scene in high school and a couple years out of it. I was convinced that I was going to be a rock star.:rolleyes: I've played drums mainly for about 12 years. I play a little guitar and even a little bass. I gave up on the piano a long time ago. I had a bunch of different bands over the years, nothing too serious though. A couple of the bands got to the demo cd recording phase and then went our seperate ways. I'll see if I can dig up that old demo cd from my last band. Who knows, maybe someday I really will be a rock star?

I played Trombone in middle school and high school. I washed out of the music program in college, not because I didn't know it but my heart wasn't in it.

My mom is a band director so I grew up with good music in the house (when there was any, she hates music) and I still listen to the best stuff now. My favorite band is the Blues Brothers, I like all kinds of jazz and blues, and classical. mainly anything with a good horn section.

scuberd once bubbled...
I played Trombone in middle school and high school. I washed out of the music program in college, not because I didn't know it but my heart wasn't in it.

My mom is a band director so I grew up with good music in the house (when there was any, she hates music) and I still listen to the best stuff now. My favorite band is the Blues Brothers, I like all kinds of jazz and blues, and classical. mainly anything with a good horn section.

Man I wish I had a good horns section. I had a music class in high school and I got to do Got To Get You Into My Life with them and it was great.

You dig blues? If you are into a horns section you must be into Kansas City Jump with a little bit of Memphis thrown in right? I love the blues. Muddy Waters, Lightnin Hopkins, BB King (saw him live from the third row,) Robert Johnson, Hounddog Taylor, Howling Wolf and the list goes on and on and on

I've played guitar since I was about 15. I play regularly. I too, like those bands you named. My old man has a huge vinyl collection so I always had cool music in the house. He plays too so whenever I go home we jam. I listen to all kinds of stuff but I guess I'm really a metal head at heart. Anything with interesting guitars is cool with me. Black Sabbath or anyone who has that thick tube amp sound. Nice Tele by the way.

I started playing guitar when I was 12. I played in garage bands in high school, and started playing professionally while in college (had to drop out a few times because classes interfered with our "touring"). I finally got through college when I started playing in "house bands" in my city.

I grew up with Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton (Cream, Blind Faith, Derrick and the Dominoes), Led Zeplin, and the Who (i.e., the guitar gods). Later on, bands like Santana, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Robin Trower (from the Moody Blues), Emerson Lake and Palmer, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and Yes had a big influence.

I never got into Punk or the Hair bands (if you can play "Aqualung" or "Stairway to Heaven" or "Layla", 3 chord songs are generally not appealing).

Over the years I've owned several Gibsons (Les Paul, SG, Flying V, Firebird), but in the end, the only electric I kept was my 1970 Fender Strat. For accoustics, I also kept my Alvarez-Yairi DY-76 and its 12-string cousin. I also have a Martin travel guitar, but I can't take it on planes anymore (9/11).

Now days when I pick up the guitar I rarely play the old stuff (well, maybe a little). I'll play some Incubus, Matchbox 20, Oasis, Stained (whatever sounds good and lends itself to accoustic guitar).

I've got a degree in classical trumpet performance from Ithaca College in NY. Unfortunately, the passion became work and I'm now a software engineer. I haven't really played in a few years, though I want to pick it up again as an amateur. 9 semesters of practicing 5 hrs a day plus rehearsals can kill the soul.

Back
Top Bottom