Any other musicians here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What every artist needs is a patron. I'm saddened by the number of folks here who seem to have had a great love of music early on, but headed in other directions, many for more lucrative careers. It really stinks that society can't place a higher value on the arts.

Personally, my appreciation of music came early from my folks, but no one had any musical training. Just love listening to Big Bands, Jazz, Harry Belafonte, and Steele Drums on 4 and 8 track casettes. Generally on a high volume from the aft deck of the boat on Lake George, NY.

Now, I'm a singer in a volunteer chorus, which my partner Directs. She somewhat jokingly refers to me as her "Sugar Momma". She has a Masters Degree and 2 Bachelors Degrees in Music, and has to hold down 3 music jobs to earn half of what I do, with just 2 years of college, and no degree.

Scuba-sass :)

...I was a very serious trumpet player (and drum corps member) through college. Thought for sure I'd end up getting my degree in either performance or education....but at the last minute I decided that as much as I loved performing (and I did)...I loved to many other things to spend that much of my life in a practice room. I ended up going to a college that didn't even have a music program. It was cold turkey...but it worked out in the end.

I don't get a chance to play horn near as much anymore...but I now sing with a few local groups (and in church) and am learning to play the hammer dulcimer (way cool instrument and I don't need to keep my chops toned up...so I can be on a ship a few months and pick it up again).

It's funny how many folks in the technology field have a musical background....I've actually been told that when hiring for a techie job...you should look for it on their resume.

Peace,
Cathie

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
I've got a degree in classical trumpet performance from Ithaca College in NY. Unfortunately, the passion became work and I'm now a software engineer. I haven't really played in a few years, though I want to pick it up again as an amateur. 9 semesters of practicing 5 hrs a day plus rehearsals can kill the soul.

There is a rule that drummers can either wear a headband, or gloves but not both unless you are hopelessly stuck in the 80s. However, this was our company picnic and it was about 100 degrees plus I was in the sun so I think I deserve a break!

Ken:mean:

Ya know what, Ken, that's not a bad look. You've got kind of an "Adam Carolla joins Loverboy for their 2003 Summer Tour" thing going on, and I think it works for you. :wink:

Everybody's Workin' For The Weekend :D

Stone once bubbled...

Telecaster are OK, Strats are better.

Both are great guitars. However, I went with a Fender Amercian Lone Star Strat because it seems more versitile for what I usually play. I highly recommend the Lone Star Stat...discontinued now but Fender offers a similiar guitar called the Texas Special. I'm going to get a Tele eventually...or have something nicer with a Tele body custom made.

I have always loved music but have been bashful about it because I don't think I sound very good at it.

I began playing the piano in the 5th grade and traded it for the flute in the 7th grade and played it for seven years. During that time I picked up the picalo, trumpet, malaphone, french horn and moved into mallets. I never could do reed instruments. :(

I played the bells and xylophone for four years in the marching band. I stuck with wind instruments in our high school orchastra and sang with the Jazz band through school. I cut a "record" hahaha (a single only) singing with the Jazz band back in high school. I won a Patsy Cline and a Dolly Parton sound-a-like contest in high school but I don't think I sing well. They were both twangy sounding to me. But hey, some people really like that. I sang in church choirs for years. But that was another life. Now, I make a joyful noise to me and no one has to enjoy it but me. :D Under the Sea .... Under the Sea .... :wink:

I was going to say Loverboy instead of just the generic 80s! BTW-I had just had throat surgery about 2 weeks prior and was stoned out of my gourd on percaset, so we ROCKED! (I think...)

Ken

kwesler once bubbled...
I was going to say Loverboy instead of just the generic 80s! BTW-I had just had throat surgery about 2 weeks prior and was stoned out of my gourd on percaset, so we ROCKED! (I think...)

Ken

I'll bet your band really did rock that day, Ken. And for the record, you're lucky you've still got pics like that from "back in the day" to share with future generations. You can explain how the Ray Ban Wayfarer's complete the look, which they totally do. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom