Any other musicians here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead once bubbled...

I know this topic is purely subjective, but I've gotta say this: Son, have you heard no Jimi Hendrix?!?!?!?

Listen to Little Wing, All Along the Watchtower, Fire, etc. The list goes on and on. Between him and Stevie Ray Vaughn, I think you'll find the best guitar solo ever somewhere.

BTW, I play guitar and saxophone - and neither as well as I used to back in the day.

I think that he was attributing that to the fact that the solo is a single note not based on it's technical merits. On that note: I think Hendrix's leads are great but they are nowhere NEAR as good as his rhythm guitar. Like on Wait Til Tomorrow his guitar is sooooo good.

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...

I think that he was attributing that to the fact that the solo is a single note not based on it's technical merits. On that note: I think Hendrix's leads are great but they are nowhere NEAR as good as his rhythm guitar. Like on Wait Til Tomorrow his guitar is sooooo good.

Truth be told, I haven't even heard that Neil Young song, so I shouldn't say anything. However I have heard Neil Young play guitar in person, and let's say I'm not surprised that his solo on that tune was just a single note. :wink: Sorry JiveTurkey.

About Hendrix - I agree, ZoCrowe, his sense of rhythm was amazing, and it showed both in rhythm guitar playing and in his solos.

Have you guys heard Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Luther College? Don't know if you like DMB or not but this is album has just the two of them on acoustic guitars. There is some fine playing on that album as well. Dave has some complex arrangements for a pop artist. He's a great song writer.

Another of my favourites is Tom Waits. One of the best artists in music. He has the rare ability to constantly change his sound and still remain relevant.

Also, check out Tool. I saw these guys play in Japan last year and it was the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had. IMO, the most interesting music made during the 90s hands down. Time will show how influential they are.

I started when I was 7. Classical stuff only. A lot of theory. The teacher was a bully. She made me play very unexciting stuff. One of my first teenage rebellion was ditching her. Didn't touch the piano for a year. Then I found "A Single Guy" by Elton John and realized that maybe I could do something different with my piano. I'm not necessarily gifted, but I've enjoyed playing ever since. Many years later, I compose a lot of stuff, but I have no idea what I'm playing. I want to learn harmony and have been thinking about taking lessons again.

My Dad bought me a guitar when I was 14. I've had several quitars since then.
I've had a number a acousticals, but I recently purchased a hand made guitar by Del Langjans. I played a bit in high school and then even made some money in college playing with a friend of mine, he could sing really well. We used to play Clapton. Beatles, Simon Garfunkel, the Birds.
I've been playing the last twenty years in church. We have several different bands that play together. I enjoy playing alot. So from an old guy, never stop, it's like diving, I don't plan on quitting diving for alot of years yet either. We were on a dive trip last year and there was a 73 yr. old guy diving with us, a few years before when we were on the Brac, there was a couple that we dove with that were in their 70's.............I wonder if I'll still be playing guitar when I get that old? =-)
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Professional musician - sort of.

Studio rat, touring, recording artist, yatta yatta yatta. Music is no longer the prime focus of my free time, but its still way up there. Just sold off the 24 track digital stusio in my home to move on to other stuff.

Play more live now than recording these days. Drummer, multi-percussionist, singer, song writer, etc.

I run into a lot of musicians when diving...even a few singers. :D I think we take an artistic view on life, a sort of "experience live and not just live" it that diving delivers.

Although my long hair is a pain now that I'm in a drysuit... :wink:

I know for me, to know - to have seen there is so much going on under the surface of the water... I can't just hang out topside for the rest of my life. As a drummer, the rhythms and cycles of the sea touch me deeply.

K

Well, I can't claim any talent myself exactly but my older brother used to play guitar and now plays Base for the band 'Bif Naked'. I don't know if you guys know them in the States but they have a few popular songs up here in Canada. I get such a kick out of every time I see him on MuchMusic(Canadian MTV).

He started playing when we were kids. I remember him shutting himself in his room for hours every day just playing and playing.

So now he's a pro! He also produces now.:guitar:

Guitars rule! I've been pretending to play guitar now for twenty-something years. My dad forced me to listen to him play guitar from birth, and then threatened to kick me out of the house unless I learned to play. I was only 8 at the time, so I really had no choice. Then, he forced me to play along with him (Eagles, James Taylor, Jim Croce, etc). Rough childhood, yes. Now, give me some Zakk Wylde. That's my style. The type of guitar you sip a glass of wine over and talk of rose gardening. I have Taylor accoustics and Fender Stratocasters, which my wife says I have too much of, so now I don't tell her when I buy another. I went from processers to now stomp boxes, strategically placed in disarray all over my music room. In college I took many music classes, to include piano but: Guitars rule!

sharkman
:guitar:
p.s., Aquabella, quit stealin my little happy-face-jammin'-dude. This one----> :guitar:

I started playing guitar at 15 (23 years ago, ugh) and spent 16 years trying to become a rock star. :wink: I went to college as a music major but only completed two years because I had the drugs and alcohol portion of the rock star thing down pat. :( (stay in school, kids and Just Say No!).

From 1990 through 1996 my friends and I had an original band here in the Tacoma/Seattle area that was mildly popular. We released a 7" vinyl single in '90 and a CD in '92, both received airplay locally on both college and commercial radio. If anyone cares, here's a link to our page on IUMA, with an MP3 of the first track off of our CD:

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Malchicks,_The/

I'm the one on the far right in the band picture, with my hair far too long and one of those Cat in the Hat hats that were so trendy in the early 90's (the picture is 10 years old!).

Three of us from that band still play together to this day as a harmless 80's cover band. We're just playing for fun now, the rock star dreams have given way to careers, marriges and mortgages. Fortunately, I had this wacky computer hobby that everyone made fun of me for back in the day... I turned that into my day gig in '95 and haven't looked back. :)

Jimmie the Geek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom