Any other musicians here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Played a bunch of instruments. Settled on guitar. Used it to help pay for college. Now I just play for me. Kottke, Fahey, ragtime, etc. Guitar is wind-down time when I can't dive.

Stone once bubbled...
I started playing guitar when I was 12. I played in garage bands in high school, and started playing professionally while in college (had to drop out a few times because classes interfered with our "touring"). I finally got through college when I started playing in "house bands" in my city.

I grew up with Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton (Cream, Blind Faith, Derrick and the Dominoes), Led Zeplin, and the Who (i.e., the guitar gods). Later on, bands like Santana, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Robin Trower (from the Moody Blues), Emerson Lake and Palmer, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and Yes had a big influence.

I never got into Punk or the Hair bands (if you can play "Aqualung" or "Stairway to Heaven" or "Layla", 3 chord songs are generally not appealing).

Over the years I've owned several Gibsons (Les Paul, SG, Flying V, Firebird), but in the end, the only electric I kept was my 1970 Fender Strat. For accoustics, I also kept my Alvarez-Yairi DY-76 and its 12-string cousin. I also have a Martin travel guitar, but I can't take it on planes anymore (9/11).

Now days when I pick up the guitar I rarely play the old stuff (well, maybe a little). I'll play some Incubus, Matchbox 20, Oasis, Stained (whatever sounds good and lends itself to accoustic guitar).

Woah an older guy who likes Oasis. Most people I know who grew up with The Beatles and Cream usually look down on Oasis. They are one of my favorite bands.

I agree with you on punk it holds NO appeal for me.

I have a degree in jazz performance from the U of Miami and was pretty much on the road into my 30's. I'm now a systems engineer and play mostly for kicks and a few bucks on the side. I'm a sax player.

Started at and early age learning the guitar from our father, switched to the bass 6 months later and my brother stayed with the guitar. With our dad, we played on the same stage with Willie (back when he sported short hair and wore a tie) in Dallas. Cut a single in 66 while in Phoenix, moved back to the country in Texas in 67 and formed a rock band. Had many a good time playing the Legion Hall jamming with the likes of Bowden and Hendley. (yeah, Don grew up there too) Cut a couple more singles in the late 70s, never had much air play...MOR type....Played a lot in clubs from Austin to Shreveport till we called it quits in the late 80s. I love music, from Hank to ZZ and even some of todays artists.
Still have a lot of sound gear, 2 bass amps, 2 four stringers and a BBN5 string. Love the '75 Rickenbacker.
Both my kids play a bit and get-togethers are a blast on the Holidays.

tony

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...
Woah an older guy who likes Oasis. Most people I know who grew up with The Beatles and Cream usually look down on Oasis. They are one of my favorite bands.

I agree with you on punk it holds NO appeal for me.

There is no doubt that the Gallager brothers "pinched" a few melodies from the Beatles (and I think "Sour Girl" owes a chord progression to Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl").

Stone once bubbled...
Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl").

BEST GUITAR SOLO EVER!!:bang:

jiveturkey once bubbled...

Anyone who can make a single fretted note sound that damn good deserves the :bang: Still not the best song on Everybody Knows This is Nowhere though

jiveturkey once bubbled...

I know this topic is purely subjective, but I've gotta say this: Son, have you heard no Jimi Hendrix?!?!?!?

Listen to Little Wing, All Along the Watchtower, Fire, etc. The list goes on and on. Between him and Stevie Ray Vaughn, I think you'll find the best guitar solo ever somewhere.

BTW, I play guitar and saxophone - and neither as well as I used to back in the day.

Stone once bubbled...
There is no doubt that the Gallager brothers "pinched" a few melodies from the Beatles (and I think "Sour Girl" owes a chord progression to Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl").

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Sour Girl" by Stone Temple Pilots? It's one of the tracks of the last STP album I bought.

BTW, I like Oasis, too -- even if they do support Man City :upset:

Back
Top Bottom