Any recent new science that makes a dive computer obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who knows how the microbubble setting affects the ZH-L8 or ZH-L16 ADT algorithm? You can't plan outside the computer. Why not choose an algorithm that can be planned on readily available software and is predictable among computers running the same algorithm?

Sadly my Uwatec Nitrox Pro just recently died - I suppose 20 years and 3000 plus dives was good life. Now what to do???
My other Uwatec Pro(bought in 1996) died about 3 yrs ago, large part of the screen had turned black! And the display of the other(Pro Nitrox) has gradually turned dim even with new battery. So I am expecting the worst.
I have been waiting patiently for the appearance of Deep 6 for several months already. My back up is Oceanic Veo 180 and if the worst happen, I will settle of Mares Puck Pro.
There is no way that I would ever spend anything over US$300.00 for one computer.

My other Uwatec Pro(bought in 1996) died about 3 yrs ago, large part of the screen had turned black! And the display of the other(Pro Nitrox) has gradually turned dim even with new battery. So I am expecting the worst.
I have been waiting patiently for the appearance of Deep 6 for several months already. My back up is Oceanic Veo 180 and if the worst happen, I will settle of Mares Puck Pro.
There is no way that I would ever spend anything over US$300.00 for one computer.
You get what your pay for, not that it wouldn't work, just that you might not the features that you want.

You get what your pay for, not that it wouldn't work, just that you might not the features that you want.
My Aladin has all the features I want
- big screen
- no need to push any buttons
- long life battery
I just picked up another one for $30. It does need a battery...

I have never had an issue with screens going black. I do have one that went into ERR mode on our last trip. Hopefully that is just battery. I have not looked at it yet.

If you are using a computer like that for basic recreational diving, I don't see why you can't go on using it. I bought my first computer just about 20 years ago. Eventually my needs changed and I sold it to a friend. Eventually his needs changed and he sold it to a friend. If it somehow came back to me now, I would use it for recreational diving without hesitation. I am pretty sure there has not been an iota of change in its algorithm in those two decades. If I bought a new one of that brand, nothing would be different.

I still have two aladin pros sitting on my shelf. Ones my original from 1990, the other cost me $10 plus another $7 for a new battery. Now they are just used for spares or loaners only because I never Dive 21% anymore.

I would not hesitate to use them for an air Dive.

My Aladin has all the features I want
- big screen
- no need to push any buttons
- long life battery
I just picked up another one for $30. It does need a battery...

I have never had an issue with screens going black. I do have one that went into ERR mode on our last trip. Hopefully that is just battery. I have not looked at it yet.

Yeah mine went into ERR but battery change didn't fix it so time to look into computer changes.

lucky for me the reset sequence described here Resetting an Aladin dive computer brought it back to life. It indicates 99% battery (it was recently changed) and contains a full dive log of dives.

time to pop it into the pressure chamber to see how it dives.
I spoke too soon. It was back in ERR mode before I got it to the pressure pot. I think it best to write this one off and pull another one out of the drawer. Maybe I will crack it open and salvage the battery and oil...

Uwatec Aladin has all the features that I want from a dive computer!! And Oceanic Veo 180 has far more features but some of them are useless.
Would I prepare to spend some more eg.Shearwater? Absolutely no chance whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom