Any recommendations for a lower price good beginner reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, maybe slightly tangential to the OP, but I've been thinking maybe I should buy another octo as I realized my Cressi XS octopus is 5 yrs. old and never been serviced (also virtually never used underwater except a couple of test breaths years ago). I got it on sale for $70 new and figured it might end up being treated as disposable. My LDS doesn't service Cressi. I bumped into the Palantic AS206 for $65 new, so likely cheaper than sending the Cressi for service, but I'd never heard of Palantic. So have you used it and would you feel comfortable with one as an octo reg.? (And then there's the question of does the Cressi really need replacing yet since it just sits in salt water under pressure, then gets soaked in fresh water?) I dive with a pony, so my octo really is just an extra backup, except on vacation dives.
I have only seen Palantic on online stores. I think it is from a Chinese OEM, that some house brands use. Hopefully someone with more experience with the brand will chime in.

As for the Cressi octo, any dive store should be able to service it. The question is if they want to. Without getting too deep in regulator repair, a dive shop should be able to disassemble the regulator, clean it, relube the o-rings and flip the seat. This is if they cannot find a service kit or use non-oem parts.

Ok, maybe slightly tangential to the OP, but I've been thinking maybe I should buy another octo as I realized my Cressi XS octopus is 5 yrs. old and never been serviced (also virtually never used underwater except a couple of test breaths years ago). I got it on sale for $70 new and figured it might end up being treated as disposable. My LDS doesn't service Cressi. I bumped into the Palantic AS206 for $65 new, so likely cheaper than sending the Cressi for service, but I'd never heard of Palantic. So have you used it and would you feel comfortable with one as an octo reg.? (And then there's the question of does the Cressi really need replacing yet since it just sits in salt water under pressure, then gets soaked in fresh water?) I dive with a pony, so my octo really is just an extra backup, except on vacation dives.
I haven't usedthat specific model, but I would recommed the Palantecs without reservation based on my experience. Mine have given me zero problems.

Ah, that’s a bummer. If I brought it to my LDS would they be able to service it for a decent rate or would it just be better to get a new stage?
You should contact your LDS and see what they will charge to rebuild it. A good LDS should be able to quote you an upfront price and contact you if it needs additional parts. A bad LDS will say it is unsafe and you should buy new but will rebuild it. A worse dive shop will say that the regulator is obsolete and cannot be serviced, buy a new MK-25 instead.

The truth is that regulator technology is mature and any improvements are incremental at best and at worst only cosmetic. You will not be able to tell the difference between a MK-10 and a MK-25. If it can be rebuilt economically then go for it.

I would not recommend a newbie buying used gear unless he has an experienced mentor that knows what s/he is looking at.
I do not think beginners should grab used gear from eBay.
This makes no sense to me. Buying used SP regs doesn't require special knowlege. It's good way for new divers to get into diving without spending much money.

This will not be cheap or straightforward.
Have you ever seen a MK10 from the inside? It's as straightforward as it gets when it comes to older regs. You can get it serviced easily, probably better than any other older reg.

This makes no sense to me. Buying used SP regs doesn't require special knowlege. It's good way for new divers to get into diving without spending much money.

Have you ever seen a MK10 from the inside? It's as straightforward as it gets when it comes to older regs. You can get it serviced easily, probably better than any other older reg.

I think that is exactly what I said, glad to have you agree with me :).

I got 5 Dive Rite XT1/XT4 regs which work fine for about the price of 2 top of the line ScubaPro regs. So, I have a 1st stage and redundant 2nd stages, and a matching full save a dive trip spare of each.

No, I've only rebuilt a Mk5.
I have no problem with rebuilding a Mk10, but for a teenager newbe with limited resources it might be a different story. Personally, I think he'd be better off with a new regulator set from DGX that he can be pretty confident will work right out of the box, has a warranty, and has a year or two before he has to sink additional money into it.
I'm not so sure the average dive shop here in the states would welcome the prospect of servicing a Mk10.

I have no problem with rebuilding a Mk10, but for a teenager newbe with limited resources it might be a different story. Personally, I think he'd be better off with a new regulator set from DGX that he can be pretty confident will work right out of the box, has a warranty, and has a year or two before he has to sink additional money into it.
He is not supposed to service the reg himself.
I have no idea why you would say to get a new reg as a budget option when you youself just said you got a reg set with a gauge for 100 bucks. I think it's a no brainer to go for a used SP reg.

He is not supposed to service the reg himself.
I have no idea why you would say to get a new reg as a budget option when you youself just said you got a reg set with a gauge for 100 bucks. I think it's a no brainer to go for a used SP reg.
I've been working on stuff for 60 years, I have the tools, and a knowledge of where to get what I need. I just sent him a Mk10. What are you donating?

I've been working on stuff for 60 years, I have the tools, and a knowledge of where to get what I need. I just sent him a Mk10. What are you donating?
Stone soup?

He needs 2 second stages, some hoses and an SPG. Let's go. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom