Any recommendations for a lower price good beginner reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been working on stuff for 60 years, I have the tools, and a knowledge of where to get what I need. I just sent him a Mk10. What are you donating?

Stone soup?

He needs 2 second stages, some hoses and an SPG. Let's go. :)
@MarkPorter
If your LDS is rebuilding that Mk10 from Scrane for you and you don't have second stages figured out, verify that your LDS will rebuild a metal Conshelf 2nd stage and I could probably hook you up with one.
Now who has a gauge and another second stage?

Respectfully,

James

Stone soup?

He needs 2 second stages, some hoses and an SPG. Let's go. :)
I have a Palantic second I can donate. I only use the Octo from that set.

This makes no sense to me. Buying used SP regs doesn't require special knowlege. It's good way for new divers to get into diving without spending much money.
The problem with used Scubapro regulators is that they do change the internals without changing the model number. For example on eBay there was a MK-25 with an S600 that went for $400. Now the S600 was the older design without the metal barrel and the MK-25 was a non-evo model even though it was listed as such. A newbie probably doesn't know that. A service will cost around $150 or so assuming nothing else needs replacing. While around half the price as a new setup, it is not the same as a new setup. If you go back to earlier Scubapro first stages there were piston changes and I believe the MK-16 had some changes also. So you there may be additional charges besides a normal service. For the same $400 there is an open-box Zeagle F-8, that doesn't need servicing. Dive it for a few years and when it needs service either service it or sell it and find another deal. There is also the Scuba.com grab bag with the Sherwood regulators in it.

For a new diver looking for cheap I would recommend a late model AL Titan, Titan LX, or Core. They are usually at the $200 mark or lower (maybe not the core).

The problem with used Scubapro regulators is that they do change the internals without changing the model number. For example on eBay there was a MK-25 with an S600 that went for $400. Now the S600 was the older design without the metal barrel and the MK-25 was a non-evo model even though it was listed as such. A newbie probably doesn't know that. A service will cost around $150 or so assuming nothing else needs replacing. While around half the price as a new setup, it is not the same as a new setup. If you go back to earlier Scubapro first stages there were piston changes and I believe the MK-16 had some changes also. So you there may be additional charges besides a normal service. For the same $400 there is an open-box Zeagle F-8, that doesn't need servicing. Dive it for a few years and when it needs service either service it or sell it and find another deal. There is also the Scuba.com grab bag with the Sherwood regulators in it.

For a new diver looking for cheap I would recommend a late model AL Titan, Titan LX, or Core. They are usually at the $200 mark or lower (maybe not the core).
Noboby said to buy a 20 year old s600 for 400 bucks. The MK20 also had piston changes but it's still cheaper than any new reg set. This is what I said:
Best bang for the buck is to get an old G250/MK20 or MK10 from ebay for around a 100 bucks or under and get it serviced. They are as good as any reg you can buy new today.

Noboby said to buy a 20 year old s600 for 400 bucks. The MK20 also had piston changes but it's still cheaper than any new reg set. This is what I said:

The Mark 20 also has a service bulletin against it for cracking (due to over torque) at the tank adapter fitting. The service bulletin claims if the saddle has only two vents it has been updated, if there are three vents it has not. I have two Mark 20s that I updated per the SB and then converted to essentially Mark 25s including the external IP adjustment. Most any Scubapro regulator can be serviced. And certain models are good investments in diving gear. Most of the internal changes are not mandatory, but on condition of the part.

I would recommend the Deep6 regs. Not necessarily the signature line if costs are an issue. I had my LDS make comments on my regs but I showed them the manual and parts. And said it’s easy to do and it’s simple to main. I then took my service back to Deep6. Bottom line is that any competent repairman can service the D6 regs. Them choosing not to for lack of knowledge or fear of insurance claims is on them but not what I consider professional (my opinion).

Some old Tabata regulator or something from a hear today and gone tomorrow house brand is not a good deal. On the other hand, just about anything that says Scubapro/Aqua Lung (Conshelf)/Mares (MR)/Apeks can be returned to service unless it is throughly trashed.
A lot of the current Tusa regs are based off or even made by Scubapro - on this month’s club/shop dive I noticed on my buddy’s Tusa regs “Made In Italy” on the barrel for the second stage mouthpiece in the same font Scubapro uses. Cosmetically, it was Tusa - but I’m not shocked if the internals were Scubapro C/R series. The Scubapro-Tabata relationship has been known. Around here, more shops carry Scubapro. Tusa seems to be a very underrated brand.

We can get even weirder - IST being the Taiwanese ODM for diving or Halcyon making the old Spro G250 but we won’t go there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom