Any rumors on the Garmin descent mk3 display?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anybody know if it is possible to use the (old) T1 transmitters on the new MK3i? Anyway - i wouldn`t be surprised if it is a no go….
Consider the new technology they are calling "SubWave sonar", I doubt...

I'm looking forward to the reviews. Especially of the tide tables and dive maps -that seem to be included- are any good. But again: the price.....
The Descent Mk2 series (and some other Garmin watches) have had tide tables for years. They work fine, you can get accurate tides for your current location or search anywhere in the world. But it only works with a smartphone data connection. The tide tables aren't actually stored on the watch.

It is called "SubWave sonar" with MK2i and T1 too. Just that they've increased the limit from 5 transmitters to 8 and are adding messaging with MK3i and T2.
Yes. You're right. I'm an old school diver, all of this is new to me :D

I was surprised they didn't include the latest version of the heart rate sensor (the Elevate 5), allowing ECG and skin temp readings, that they've put in the latest Epix, Fenix, and many other watches. Why would they skip that here?

I was surprised they didn't include the latest version of the heart rate sensor (the Elevate 5), allowing ECG and skin temp readings, that they've put in the latest Epix, Fenix, and many other watches. Why would they skip that here?
They wanted to keep it cheap... 😁

With a software update, the T1 can transmit a name along with pressure, etc like with T2.
I don't think we can state that. The T1 is currently transmit only. If a software update was all that is needed to receive, then why develop the T2? I haven't opened up a T1, and don't intend to, but I'm thinking the circuitry is not there for the T1 to listen. It would need to listen in order to receive the message from the DC.

I don't think we can state that. The T1 is currently transmit only. If a software update was all that is needed to receive, then why develop the T2. I haven't opened up a T1, and don't intend to, but I'm thinking the circuitry is not there for the T1 to listen. It would need to listen in order to receive the message from the DC.

The Garmin compatibility page says with T1 firmware 3.xx, you can view the public name.

The T1 has Bluetooth, ANT+ and sonar. Bluetooth is 2 way and ANT+ can be 2 way depending on the implementation.

It's likely the T1 gets it's "name" via the same mechanisms as firmware updates. Bluetooth via phone and I think ANT+ via watch.

Being able to name of the T1 and T2 doesn't require sonar receiving capabilities. It just requires some way for a watch or computer to communicate with them on the surface, which is present on both T1 and T2.

Reactions: L13
Being able to name the T1 and T2 doesn't require sonar receiving capabilities. It just requires some way for a watch or computer to communicate with them on the surface, which is available on both T1 and T2.
So, maybe I misunderstood. What would you want in that name that gets sent? I thought you were referring to being able to send messages like the T2 can.

ANT+ and BT aren't going to work underwater. At least not far enough to be useful. So, there is still the issue of getting the message from the computer to the T2. Given the connectivity options, I'm thinking it's not using ANT+, BT, or WiFi. Those would require holding the DC pretty much right against the T2. So, that would leave SubWave Sonar as the method. Unless the T1 can hear SubWave Sonar signals, it's one way only underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom