Any rumors on the Garmin descent mk3 display?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it so that when it chirps tank pressure, it also chirps "Belzelbub" so that your pals who are, of course, also using Mk3is, can identify it by name and see what your pressure is? The screenshot shows buddy divers with not only their pressure but depth and distance away (?), I guess the depth at least requires the transmitter to relay information from the dive computer... Not sure why messages would go via the transmitter -- is it more powerful (ultrasonic wise) than the computer, perhaps?

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 17.30.33.png

These are not features I particularly want, but I have to give them some credit for doing somewhat innovative things with dive computers.

Is it so that when it chirps tank pressure, it also chirps "Belzelbub" so that your pals who are, of course, also using Mk3is, can identify it by name and see what your pressure is?
Aah. Gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense. I guess then in that case, it is feasible for the T1 to send a name instead of a transmitter ID. I would definitely have zero need for this. If my buddies need me to monitor their tank pressure for them, I'd hope they'd be paying me for that service.
The screenshot shows buddy divers with not only their pressure but depth and distance away (?), I guess the depth at least requires the transmitter to relay information from the dive computer... Not sure why messages would go via the transmitter -- is it more powerful (ultrasonic wise) than the computer, perhaps?
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The T2 probably has a stronger transmitter. The watch transmit power can be reduced as it only needs to reach the T2 on their back/side.
These are not features I particularly want, but I have to give them some credit for doing somewhat innovative things with dive computers.
I agree. I could see a handful of instances where it could be useful, but not my typical dives. A group dive led by an Op could use this, but that would mean using MK3is as loaner gear. Not likely.

It certainly is innovative, even if I don't have an immediate use for it. Certainly no other DC can claim this functionality.

Is it so that when it chirps tank pressure, it also chirps "Belzelbub"

That's my understanding.

So, maybe I misunderstood. What would you want in that name that gets sent? I thought you were referring to being able to send messages like the T2 can.
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant what jborg said above. I do not think the T1 can transmit an arbitrary message. Only that it can include a "tank name" along with the psi and whatever else it can send passively. The docs say this works with both Mk2i and Mk3i.

My comments regarding ANT and BT were that you could set this name at the surface before a dive and then the tank would include that name with its psi chirps.

The screenshot shows buddy divers with not only their pressure but depth and distance away (?), I guess the depth at least requires the transmitter to relay information from the dive computer... Not sure why messages would go via the transmitter -- is it more powerful (ultrasonic wise) than the computer, perhaps?
Both the T1 and T2 have a depth sensor on them. no need for DC comms to transmit that data as well. The distance feature would only work with the T2 (needs 2-way comms with the other T2), but could still work with the Mk2i with a firmware update to display it.

Does anybody know if it is possible to use the (old) T1 transmitters on the new MK3i? Anyway - i wouldn`t be surprised if it is a no go….
Garmin responded to me, and confirmed that the T1 is compatible with the MK3i.

I'll let you guinea pigs test it out before hurting the credit card. Looks like a cool watch though. I would be interested in hearing reviews of screen visibility under water vs on land vs dive computer only vs dive computer+every day watch.

If one of you gets a Descent Mk3 I would be curious to know whether they have fixed the usability problem on the Mk2 with gas switch prompts during Multi-Gas dive activities. If you have it configured with a deco gas then it will prompt you to switch as soon as you ascend to a depth where the PPO2 is safe. The problem is that prompt blocks the entire display which prevents you from cross checking depth against the deco stage MOD sticker. So you have to manually cancel that prompt, run through the gas switch protocol, and then push several buttons on the computer to select the new gas. Kind of annoying.

If one of you gets a Descent Mk3 I would be curious to know whether they have fixed the usability problem on the Mk2 with gas switch prompts during Multi-Gas dive activities. If you have it configured with a deco gas then it will prompt you to switch as soon as you ascend to a depth where the PPO2 is safe. The problem is that prompt blocks the entire display which prevents you from cross checking depth against the deco stage MOD sticker. So you have to manually cancel that prompt, run through the gas switch protocol, and then push several buttons on the computer to select the new gas. Kind of annoying.
I would have to say that that is a general complaint I have with my Garmin (which I love), alerts and alarms cover up everything else including the info you need to take action on the alert or alarm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom