Any rumors on the Garmin descent mk3 display?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear my Mk2i everyday, for almost 3 years now. the bezel is barely showing any wear. It isn't quite as tough as the sapphire covered display, but far from easily scratched.
Same here. I use my Mk2i primarily as my run/bike/swim watch. Bought to replace my fenix after completing OW last year. Just. A few light scuffs - need to get out on a few more dives with it though :)

Anyone hear any rumors on the display on the Garmin descent mk3? I'm praying for an AMOLED, and if it does have one, I'll hold out on getting a new computer until it comes out. If not, I'll probably skip it.
I'm the opposite. I have a Descent G1 now that I like a lot. Much of that has to do with the fact that I can also wear it constantly as a fitness watch and go a couple weeks without charging. I got the G1 to serve as a backup to my Shearwater Peregrine and to replace an Apple watch that was useless unless I remembered/was able charge it at least every 30 hours, and even then could not make it through a long hike or ski day with GPS activated. When the G1 needs to be replaced, I plan to upgrade to an MK, but if they change it to an AMOLED display that requires nightly recharging, I definitely won't get it.

I'm the opposite. I have a Descent G1 now that I like a lot. Much of that has to do with the fact that I can also wear it constantly as a fitness watch and go a couple weeks without charging. I got the G1 to serve as a backup to my Shearwater Peregrine and to replace an Apple watch that was useless unless I remembered/was able charge it at least every 30 hours, and even then could not make it through a long hike or ski day with GPS activated. When the G1 needs to be replaced, I plan to upgrade to an MK, but if they change it to an AMOLED display that requires nightly recharging, I definitely won't get it.
Garmin seems to have nailed it with Epix 2 (which has an AMOLED screen), giving 2 weeks of battery time in daily use and more than 30 hrs on GPS. With this, I would expect MK3 to be AMOLED.

Garmin seems to have nailed it with Epix 2 (which has an AMOLED screen), giving 2 weeks of battery time in daily use and more than 30 hrs on GPS. With this, I would expect MK3 to be AMOLED.

Wow, I hadn’t realized they’d made such an advance with the Epix 2. You inspired me to do some research. It looks like people are getting over a week at least between charges with the kind of active usage I’d envision for myself. If that’s accurate, I’m definitely in for an AMOLED display that can achieve such battery life.

I like 2 things about the current Mk2 display:
  • Battery life.
    • May no longer be an issue with AMOLED if you are right about the Epix 2
  • Readability in bright sunlight.
    • Not sure if the AMOLED will be able to compete here.

I have the 965, also with the new AMOLED display. I just got back from a hike in the sunshine and the display was easily read at medium power.The display is also high res . The newest topographical maps are brilliant! I don't worry much about battery life. I put it on the charger every week or two, depending on usage.
I have also been using the older Descent mk1 for three years. I have been impressed (and surprised) by its functionality and reliability. Garmin seems to know what it takes to make an underwater watch.

May no longer be an issue with AMOLED if you are right about the Epix 2

I have the 47mm Epix Pro and the AMOLED screen is fantastic. Absolutely no visibility issue in the sun.

The battery lasts about a week with a round of golf, 3 hour hike, and daily run/HIIT which uses GPS.

BTW, that GPS is really accurate... super impressed at how it tracks even when I stray briefly from the sidewalk on a run.

I have the 47mm Epix Pro and the AMOLED screen is fantastic. Absolutely no visibility issue in the sun.

The battery lasts about a week with a round of golf, 3 hour hike, and daily run/HIIT which uses GPS.

BTW, that GPS is really accurate... super impressed at how it tracks even when I stray briefly from the sidewalk on a run.

That’s great — my activity profile would be similar, and as long as I could get at least a week under real world conditions, I think I’d be happy. Now I’m really curious to see what they do with the Mk3.

Heard a rumor at the local dive shop that a new Mk3 would be unveiled at DEMA this fall
As an Mk2i diver myself, I'm excited

Heard a rumor at the local dive shop that a new Mk3 would be unveiled at DEMA this fall
As an Mk2i diver myself, I'm excited
Probably true. That would align with Garmin's usual product release schedule.

Back
Top Bottom