Any special skills needed for bp/wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it difficult to find tank weights and bolt ons at resorts? I would hate to have to carry all my weight in my luggage!

Tank weights go in a camstrap mounted pocket, so thats kind of a non-issue.

P and V weights are a different issue, though. If you need more weight, an extra set of camstrap pockets might serve you well.

I've traveled across the carribean with my bp/w with no issues. It packs small, and dive operators ALWAYS have weights for people. Its the way to go!

PfcAJ:
Tank weights go in a camstrap mounted pocket, so thats kind of a non-issue.

It may not be that simple. How much weight and what style camstrap makes a difference?

Jacket bcds are very common in the recreational market because most people are trained in them. This probably includes those instructors out there trying to sell them to you. When it comes down to it BP/W's are alot cheaper in the long run due to its complete interchangeability, fix alot of trim problems in divers that do not know much about weight placement, and are the choice of almost every caver and/or tech diver that is worthy of your respect. I am just a recreational diver and fairly new at that, but it was a no-brainer to me that the rugged BP/W was superior to my scubapro jacket and my zeagle ranger back-inflate.

I say you will have very little learning curve and never go back.

Check out 'hogarthian' or 'DIR' diving styles next if you are interested in a holistic application of this unit.

Check out Golem, Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DSS single tank wings (avoid the DSS torus singles). Avoid OMS and diverite.

tparrent:
Is it difficult to find tank weights and bolt ons at resorts? I would hate to have to carry all my weight in my luggage!

With a SS plate with an AL 80 tank when wearing half my 2 piece 7 mil suit I thread 4 pounds (2, 2 pound hard weights) onto my tank strap. If I wear the whole suit I put 8 pounds on a belt. Diving my dry suit I usually have doubles and don't need any weight but if I was going to use a single tank it would be a steel tank.

Plenty of weighting options without needing to carry lead on a plane.

Vayu:
(avoid the DSS torus singles).

Why? Do you have any personal experience w/ the Torus Wing, or just what you've read on this board?

I love my DSS Torus Single 35lb setup......it's a great wing. There's no reason to "avoid" it.

zach5150:
Why? Do you have any personal experience w/ the Torus Wing, or just what you've read on this board? quote]

Vayu:
Jacket bcds are very common in the recreational market because most people are trained in them. This probably includes those instructors out there trying to sell them to you. When it comes down to it BP/W's are alot cheaper in the long run due to its complete interchangeability, fix alot of trim problems in divers that do not know much about weight placement, and are the choice of almost every caver and/or tech diver that is worthy of your respect. I am just a recreational diver and fairly new at that, but it was a no-brainer to me that the rugged BP/W was superior to my scubapro jacket and my zeagle ranger back-inflate.

I say you will have very little learning curve and never go back.

Check out 'hogarthian' or 'DIR' diving styles next if you are interested in a holistic application of this unit.

Check out Golem, Halcyon, Oxycheq, and DSS single tank wings (avoid the DSS torus singles). Avoid OMS and diverite.

BS-O-Meter is beeping.

I don't have personal experience with the Torus wings. Now I have held a few DSS wings in my hands and they seem to be of excellent build. However, the Torus wings have these large freaky holes in them. They do not have a place to bolt on an STA. I know the big thing with DSS is STA-less designs, but my personal preference is to use an STA for stability and weight and therefore I cannot advise others onto the new torus single wings.http://www.deepseasupply.com/page21.html

OMS constantly wraps cord around their wings and the wings do not seem streamlined at all. I want something simple, not a crazy wing with cords wrapped around it or one with freaky holes.

As for Diverite, I have simply not been impressed with the quality of the gear of theirs that I have seen/held/dive with and after conversations with other people who own rec-wings I have come to the conclusion that they are not the best choices.

Just my preferences people - no reason to pick em apart. I would dive a DSS wing any day if it had holes to bolt an adapter to it (which, as far as I can see, the new Torus cannot) Just looks like one of those products that while becoming more specialized loses some versatility.

Don Janni:
It may not be that simple. How much weight and what style camstrap makes a difference?

Oh Gawd,

Now I suppose that by that comment a bp/w cam band is more complicated than a regular bc cam band?

It's just weight pockets on a cam band what else... it's a no brainer.

Your claims that a bp/w is a more complicated setup is just that pure BS, your limited experience with a bp/w is like what less than 20 dives and you returned the setup to Tobin.

All of your queries for assistance just shows how little you really know about diving and here you are giving advice to folks?

What a phoney.

SangP

Back
Top Bottom