Any suggestions/recommendations for diving in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33pdiv3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm heading to Cozumel, Mexico this weekend to do some diving... as a solo diver. This will be my first time diving in Mexico, so any advice or recommendations from any experienced divers is greatly appreciated. :d

Advice might include:
-Dive sites
-Best dive shops (best prices for your money not sacrificing safety)
-Dive shops to avoid
-Tipping (for resort diving / through a dive shop)
-Tips for solo divers/ finding a dive buddy

Thanks, everyone!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! :)

I don't think Cozumel HAS any bad dive sites. You just need to let the op know what you're interested in. Deep dives for fabulous reef structure? Swim throughs? Shallow dives with tons of fish?
Cozumel is also blessed with a plethora of excellent dive ops. I don't recall ever seeing a negative review on here. We've only dove with Aldora Divers. Not the cheapest, but with HP120's, you're getting the bottom time of 3-tanks for the price of 2.
I generally tip 10/tank. Most ops will be happy to pair up single divers either with an insta-buddy or with the guide.

From what I've heard so far, Cozumel sounds amazing in terms of dive sites! I've corresponded with some frequent visitors who have had nothing but pleasant things to say about the diving, and they weren't trying to sell me anything...lol.
Normally, when I travel, I'm away for weeks to months at a time, so a 1-week trip is making me feel like I'm on a time crunch. I'll definitely look into Aldora Divers, I've seen that name several times in passing, which (for me) is a good sign. Word of mouth means a lot to me, and price not so much when it comes to safety.
To be completely honest, I've never given much thought about tank size, but I probably should considering the rate at which I consume air. Thanks for that!
You've given me some great things to think about, I appreciate it!

Check out the stuff on the Cozumel forum page too. I'm heading down there in a couple of weeks, diving with Scuba with Alison. I've been out with her once before while on a cruise stop and looking forward to a long weekend of diving down there. Got her name through word of mouth from a LDS in Virginia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom