Any way to stretch spring straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have some Jet fins with Scubapro spring straps. The straps will just barely go over the heels of my drysuit boots & is a real PITA to get on & off. As expensive as they are, I'd rather not have to buy another set. Are there any suggestions as how to stretch the springs out a tad to make donning & Doffing a bit easier. Thanks.

There is usually a nylon cord running down the middle of the spring that acts as a stretch limiter. One pair of springs that I tried, I was unable to get on, I cut the internal cord and haven't had a bit of trouble since.

If you cut the cord, I'd advise replacing it with a longer one....

Marchand on the boards here made me some spring straps, but he guessed wrong on some of the lengths, since I didn't give him any measurements. The fins seemed similar but it turns out, the posts on his are further back. So the cord he put on wasn't long enough, and I had to redo it. But for $30ish....and if I'd given him measurements, he could have gotten the length right.

If the springs are too tight when on then you either need longer springs or need to add a spacer at the end of the spring.

If it is just too hard to get them on and off then the string may be too short. You can put in a longer string. The string is important to keep from over stretching the springs and making them too soft.

I had a pair of spring straps that was too short, but not on that type of fin. The springs attached with a screw in the metal clip that attaches to the fin pin. I took the screw off and drilled holes back about 1/4" or so on each metal clip and then put the screws back together. Worked great and you can always move that screws back to tighten if you change to different boots/fins etc. I'm not sure if this will work on yours or not, but I figured I would through my two cents in just in case. Would send a picture, but am in the middle of a middle eastern country and I don't have my fins with me......Hope my idea helps.

I have stretched out spring straps that were a bit too short by simple stretching the spring beyond its limits. But it needs to be done very carefully as you don't want to overshoot the target. I stretched mine out right where they hit my heal and it actually made tham a little more comfortable. decide how much you need to go: .25 inches, .5 inches - I wouldn't target any more than that. Disassemble the strap (remove string and cover). Grab the spring in the middle with each hand leaving about 1 inch of spring between your hands. Pull apart slowly and let the spring recover. Don't even try to exceed the limit the first couple pulls. Increase the effort each time until the spring fails to fully recover. Thben test the fit and repeat if necessary. It will not take much as the strap will also bend a bit more easily where it is streatched. Reassemble including the safety string.

If stretched too much, shortening a bit is easier than lengthenijng them. But do make sure the problem is with the length of the spring and not with the length of the safety string. From what you describe, I think your problem may well to that the strings are too short.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom