Anybody diving a Uwatec Galileo SOL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to hijack the thread, but when will the galileo class be ready at eDiving, dive computer training?

So far class is ~60% done and we have folks at Scubapro reviewing /testing it.
Most likely we will release the Galileo class in January in conjunction with r9 version of the simulator ........ among other things we are adding to the simulator support for "tech diving" - you will be able to equip the diver with doubles + 2 stage bottles - we need this new feature to demonstrate PMG

Alberto (aka eDiver)

How are you liking the user friendly ness of the luna?

Luna, Terra and Sol all use the same menu layout, so they're all equally user friendly. I love that pretty much everything is spelled out in plain English, no need to wonder what that obscure little icon that you've never seen before means, should it pop up in the middle of a dive.

I just bought the Sol about 6 weeks ago. I have 8 dives on it. Other than getting used to having it on my wrist, its been a great improvement over the aeries ai. The compass is the best. To be able set multiple reference points & get back to the anchor line is priceless...
The Heart rate monitor is to me, a bit over the top. I tried it on my last 3 dives, with mixed reviews....

I prefer to strap on my forearm. Much too in the way and heavy on my wrist...

Guy, I always have backups. I can't imagine I will stop taking my Suunto/DSS boot down with me, it's not like it gets in the way. The Sol compass is very usable though. I am starting to like it a little better than the SK7 because it's slightly easier to read. On night dives especially, the Suunto glow fades out quickly even when I charge it up with my HID... The Sol light stays on constantly. <snip>

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like about the SK-7, it's not ideal for night use. I'd like Suunto to put luminous points on the index and reciprocal marks as well as the North end of the needle, because it's almost impossible to get full, even illumination of the entire compass card using any light I've ever seen. And as you say, it doesn't stay luminous very long. Oddly enough, they do provide such luminous points on the far less useful SK-6.

I thnk the best night compass I've seen is an older model made by Scubapro, which ties the SK-7 for general usability (tilt angle, excellent ratcheted bezel, large numbers) while having the above-mentioned features. It is a bit higher profile, though. I know a shop that has one in their rental department, and I'm thinking of making them an offer for it, after I rent it again and use it for a night dive to see if the promise is matched by the reality. I do enough compass nav. that its worth the trouble.

Guy

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like about the SK-7, it's not ideal for night use. I'd like Suunto to put luminous points on the index and reciprocal marks as well as the North end of the needle, because it's almost impossible to get full, even illumination of the entire compass card using any light I've ever seen. And as you say, it doesn't stay luminous very long. Oddly enough, they do provide such luminous points on the far less useful SK-6.

I thnk the best night compass I've seen is an older model made by Scubapro, which ties the SK-7 for general usability (tilt angle, excellent ratcheted bezel, large numbers) while having the above-mentioned features. It is a bit higher profile, though. I know a shop that has one in their rental department, and I'm thinking of making them an offer for it, after I rent it again and use it for a night dive to see if the promise is matched by the reality. I do enough compass nav. that its worth the trouble.

Guy

I may just have one of the ScubaPro compasses you're referring to. New in box. (!) PM me if interested.

BTW, a 21w HID does a dandy job of evenly lighting the entire SK7 card. Takes one second to glow for quite a while. :crafty:

I may just have one of the ScubaPro compasses you're referring to. New in box. (!) PM me if interested.

BTW, a 21w HID does a dandy job of evenly lighting the entire SK7 card. Takes one second to glow for quite a while. :crafty:

Let me get back to you on that, after I have a chance to try the thing out at night. Does yours have the wrist mount with web strap and metal spring buckle?

As to a 21W can light, I want to look at fish, not microwave them:D I try and use the least amount of light I can at night.

Guy

Hi,

The TRIMIX update for the Galileo computers has been introduced on German Boot end of January this year.
It should be available for download in March 2010. It will be for free for Galilo Sol but extra money has to be paid for Luna.
A short report (im German) is available on
Taucher.Net Boot 2010
approx. in the middle of the posting.

Regards,
RolMar

I have had endless problems losing the signal. My first computer was replaced by the company but the problem persists with the new one. On my last trip, I left my camera on the boat a couple of times and the signal loss dropped off significantly. So I did a bit of experimenting and figured that my strobe (which is an Olympus) was the source of the problem. Those of you who are using this computer successfully with a strobe...can you tell me the brand?

I have had endless problems losing the signal. My first computer was replaced by the company but the problem persists with the new one. On my last trip, I left my camera on the boat a couple of times and the signal loss dropped off significantly. So I did a bit of experimenting and figured that my strobe (which is an Olympus) was the source of the problem. Those of you who are using this computer successfully with a strobe...can you tell me the brand?

I lose signal for a second or two every once in a while, but it always comes back just by bringing my arm a little closer to the transmitter. (I normally dive with arms in front of me, and I have long arms, so it's a little farther than most)

I use Inon strobes, which don't seem to affect the signal at all.

I have never lost signal with my Sol. This last trip we were on we were using a new camera setup with an Ikelite DS161 strobe. No issues with the strobe either.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom