Anybody know the best mask that purges....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just need a mask that fits properly. If it has a purge then so be it.

Go to a few dive shops and try on masks for comfort/fit and field of view. Gently press mask on face. If it forms a suction it may fit. Try out in pool first in case have to return.

Go to LeisurePro website and sort by masks with purge for a selection of available purge masks.

SEADIVE, Oceanways, TUSA may have masks that fit well with purge. We use SEADIVE which may also be labeled Oceanways.

I have tried many types of masks,and just like everyone has said,the best thing is to try many differant types. I did settle on a Oceanic ION 2. It came with a purge valve and a real nice strap that is great. It is the only mask that i tried on that didn't leak also,and i tried on over 20 masks. by the way scuba.com had them on close out for 25 dollars,so i bought a second one a couple weeks ago because they are normally around 80 dollars.. hope this helps

Carnell, I'm assuming you wanted to know about whom has had luck with which purge mask, as opposed to opinions on whether or not you should get one...

I agree with those that offered advice on finding the right *mask* first (which can be a long trial - since everyone's face is obviously different). If you have a beard/stache, that can also be a factor. I went through about 8 masks before finding one that fit best/leaked least. So, don't be disheartened. Once you've found the right mask, you can see about getting it with a purge. If you *do* go for a purge (and there's nothing wrong with it -- I have both purges, and non-purge masks, and never had a single issue with the purges -- simply a matter of personal preference). Check the purge to make sure it doesn't intrude too much into the nose cup, or create any discomfort.

For the record, I settled on the SeaVision Ultra. Excellent mask, fits me like a glove, relatively low volume, easy to clear both with and without a purge, and can be ordered with gauge readers or prescription lenses built in...

Good luck. Dive safe.

Best mask is the one that fits. Best mask that purges is still the one that fits - you can find one, really - in which case you probably don't "need" the purge.

Some people have good reasons to get a purge mask, like maybe people with mustaches that they just can't seem to work around otherwise. Or well-considered preference. But getting one because your current mask leaks seems like putting a bandage on a bandage. If you're getting a new mask, your goal should be getting one that doesn't leak. Not just any mask, as long as it has a purge to make it more convenient to clear when it leaks. If the mask that fits has a purge so be it.

There are lots of threads here that discuss properly fitting a mask. How did you do it when you bought your current leaky mask?

(Realize that purge masks can have drawbacks too. I think they tend to be a bit higher volume on average. Some people are concerned about the purge itself leaking because something gets stuck in them or the purge doesn't seal as well when the material ages. And someone has written about the whole purge assembly bit coming out on them. Even if they don't often have problems like that, some people find the way the purge is positioned rubs their nose.)

Seems I'm very fortunate with all soft silicone adult sized masks.
Even most old rubber ones, and buckets with only a single skirt.

If you place the mask loosely against your face, inhale slightly through
your nose whilst wiggling to obtain the best seal, and it stays put when
you move your head around, it fits.

After you let go, with no strap, obviously maintaining a light inhalation.

Also if you can walk or jump around with your mouth half open and the
oral nasal passages locked, still maintaining nasal suction, it fits better still.

The pressure required to maintain a seal should not bring the glass
half an inch closer to the eyes, sucking in your eardrums, or require
umpteen psis to lever the mask off.

Water pressure and nasal equalisation, maintain the optimal face to mask shape, ensuring a best seal, with the mask that seals best as you're gonna get situation.

And despite experience, there are THOSE dives that are sent to test us
where everything leaks and down appears up and up appears down.

Although I occasionally use vintage purge masks, it seems a far slower and less than efficient process clearing a fully flooded one with two exit points unless you are able to cover the valve, however more importantly equalisingand clearing everything quickly when required at depth, is just
a mess.

So I would recommend purge masks to collectors
shallow divers, or to those that dive around with
a water pendulum on their glass or inside the nose.

So to summarise:

Purging is something you do to expulse what you did yesterday
in order to successfully progress through your intentions today.

Last edited:
I've used both purge and standard type masks and prefer a standard non-purge style. One problem I notice with the purge mask is that the purge valve adds additional length to the nose which causes the mask to contact my regulator. This is mainly a comfort issue and probably depends on personal facial configuration.

Someone mentioned that the shape of your face may change when using a snorkel or regulator. So may be best to try out in pool first with snorkel or such to determine if it is the proper fit.

With the new softer feathered silicon mask skirts, I can get almost any mask to stay on my face by inhaling slightly. I suggest just gently pressing against your face to determine if it forms a suction.

Most mask companies do not make a special purge mask like the TUSA on my Avatar. The same mask can be bought with or without purge from many companies. SEADIVE/Oceanways, Aeris, Oceanic, SEAVISION may have the same mask with and without purge.

I'm not a fan of purge valves on a mask because if they crap out during a dive and your mask floods you've got a problem on your hands...you can work through it but it's a problem none the less.

DevonDiver may have hit it on the head...facial hair. I worked with a guy last week that tried on 4 different masks during a dive (he was using rental gear, he kept coming back to the boat) and on the 4th one I realized his eyebrows were the issue; he had massive eyebrows and they went way up above his eyes at an angle. Everytime he looked up the crease on his forehead, along with his eyebrows, caused the mask to leak.

Dunno for sure but good luck!

Ditto for the majority of suggestions. Mostly to finding a shop and trying on every mask they have and narrowing it down. I had to because I have high cheek bones. Leaked all the time. I finally found one that fits the best. Leaks are rare and minor. As for purging, and I am probably going to get some comment on this, I run my strap slightly lower on the back of my head thus putting slightly more pressure on the forehead seal of the mask. Purging for me generally just means breathing out some air through my nose in s low volume but constant rate. Water gone. Works for me anyway.

Facial hair and skin creases prevent an effective mask seal, causing leaks.

The best way to check if this is a problem is to have a buddy inspect your mask underwater. If the mask is leaking, it will be evident by small bubbles leaking from the mask. If you don't have a reliable buddy, take a small mirror down with you.

The least reliable way to check mask fit, is to stick it on your face in the dive store. It will give an indication of fit and seal, but won't account for some of the small factors that present when underwater on scuba - for instance, when holding a regulator in your mouth, it can change the profile of your upper lip, causing creases, that will break the mask seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom