Anybody know the best mask that purges....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If both of your hands are busy holding a camera, or you are sitting still waiting for the right composition to occur in order to take that killer shot, having to orient 90 degrees, take your hand off the camera and push on the top of your mask while exhaling, is a GREAT reason to want a purge in your mask.

As stated a number of times in this post already: Put your energy into finding a mask that fits... I only have to clear my mask when "I" put water in it to clear some spit or defogger that I might have missed at the surface. I don't think I am the exception to the rule. Purging water from your mask is a skill you should have mastered but it's not something you should have to be doing constantly during a dive...

If both of your hands are busy holding a camera, or you are sitting still waiting for the right composition to occur in order to take that killer shot, having to orient 90 degrees, take your hand off the camera and push on the top of your mask while exhaling, is a GREAT reason to want a purge in your mask.
maybe, but if the mask doesn't leak to begin with you don't need to clear it.

Facial hair might cause a mask to leak, I've never heard of a camera making a mask leak...

Here is another reason to stay away from purgers that I have not seen posted yet. They hurt the bottom of your nose. I used one for about two years when I first started and that thing killed my nose. I thought it was just the way diving was going to be. But used my uncle's mask and learned that clearing it the "old-fashioned" way is much more comfortable.

Point is, you don't need the purge and will be much more comfortable with soft silicon resting under your snout than a hard piece of plastic.

Last edited:
I must sat that I have a purge on my mask and i dont use it... I jut bought it cause it was the best fit for me..

From DevonDiver:
The most commonly taught technique is:

1) Gently secure the top of the mask frame against your forehead with one hand.
2) Slowly and continually exhale through your nose.
3) As you reach the end of your exhalation, look slowly upwards.

i like your reply, like putting all the steps in very clear and distinct statements. i didn't know that we only look up coming to the end of our exhale. i usually exhale while looking up. thanks.

sorry, still trying to get myself familiar with this forum. thus the 'awkward' way of quoting.

Sorry, guys. I worded it wrong. I was posting this for my bro as my mask works great and no, i dont take it off when i clear. He bought a purge mask for 80 bucks on line but I told him to use his again and he had no problems this trip so he never used it. Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom