Anyone dive without a snorkel on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I really love this thread! I've wondered if I needed my snorkel, and have decided unless my face is going to be stuck in the water for an extended period of time and I don't want to use my air, then there's no need for it.

Rock on non-snorkel divers!

Well, Walter, by definition when at the surface one is no longer a diver. I posted a while back an account of once when I had to drop my gear and swim to the boat with a disstressed diver, at least 500 yards in chop. We can debate whether I needed my snorkel, but I sure used it.

I'll just add my thoughts...

Snorkels suck. The only one I own is one I found on the swingset at the bottom of Millbrook Quarry. The only one I ever used (for diving) was a 30 year old J-tube style that I borrowed from my dad for my OW dives.

Just one question on the topic. Does anyone know of any diver(s) dying because they didn't have a snorkel? Or any serious injuries caused by not having a snorkel? I personally haven't heard any stores and just like anything else in life...they are a nuisance...until you need them. I leave mine bagged on the boat.

BiggDawg:
However, the fact that many people do it doesn't make it any less dangerous, or more correct; any more than the fact that many people speed on the highway makes it any more correct or less dangerous.

If you are for real, then IMHO I think you should prefix your opinons with "IMHO" or something similar. Especially when making statements about something that the vast majority of divers would disagree with you on. I'm not saying that the vast majority of divers dive without snorkles (I even keep one in my pocket), I'm just saying that there would be very few divers that believe it to be a serious safety issue (even if you do have to teach it that way).

If you don't state that "this is your opinion" at the the beginning of your posts you just come accross as a little agressive and one eyed. We need to keep these posts civil.

Now I guess I'm stirring the pot a little.

:soapbox:

I don't quite understand why you would swim face down on the surface, going on your back even in rough strong currents is just so much more effective...i think my snorkel might be in a crate somewhere on our dive truck, its just way too useless.

Back
Top Bottom